Author Topic: Low energy light bulb  (Read 9714 times)

Offline fireftrm

Low energy light bulb
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:04:22 AM »
I have recently been approached by a member of the public who had a low energy light (Mazda) of the three mini neon 'kettle element style' tubes, with a large base. the base began to get very hot and emit smoke. Has anyone come across similar problems?
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Low energy light bulb
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:16:08 AM »
Before I left the service I saw it a couple of times with low energy light bulbs. I recollect  a colleage broght one in if I recall  was thought to have started a fire.
In the one I saw the problems occurred with a breakdown of the printed circuit board caused by overheating or arcing in a localised area, the arcing cused the PC board to carbonise which led to further arcing until the circuit breaker operated.

Offline Mr. P

Low energy light bulb
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »
Have seen some where the plastic/resin has distorted and dis coloured at the point where the tube goes into it.

Offline John Webb

Low energy light bulb
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »
I've seen a couple of these bulbs where the internal electronics have failed with the generation of heat and the usual 'electrical' smell. There is conflicting advice about using these in enclosed fittings and I think that some makes may be more susceptible to overheating than others. Those I use in my own home I always mark with the date of installation. One or two have failed in under a year!
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline nearlythere

Low energy light bulb
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 02:32:07 PM »
Quote from: fireftrm
I have recently been approached by a member of the public who had a low energy light (Mazda) of the three mini neon 'kettle element style' tubes, with a large base. the base began to get very hot and emit smoke. Has anyone come across similar problems?
Yep, me also. I think they are an absolute fire hazard.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline BB

Low energy light bulb
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 11:54:13 PM »
Another fire hazard is the mains plug in air freshners. Been to a couple of incidents where they have overheated and have caused considerable fire damage. These items also have a tendency to get very hot.
Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you'll be surprised at how little you have :)