Author Topic: Can you Help?  (Read 7389 times)

Offline firstforensic

• firstforensic
Can you Help?
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
Im hoping that someone might be able to help me identify an electrical plug removed from the scene of a fatal fire.

Its a black plastic, double insulated plug with markings on its face.

Markings appear to include:               O C E ...

input 100-240 V

output 4.0 V  (or could be 4.9 V or even W)

If you could have a look at your phone chargers etc Id be grateful.

Merry christmas to all.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
Re: Can you Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »
Hi

Sounds like you are right and it is a transformer.

Any Photos?

:-\
Sam

Offline firstforensic

• firstforensic
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:52:48 AM »
There is - but Im flummoxed as to how you add it in. I get as far as the "insert image" icon and then it all becomes a techno mist!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:27:33 PM »
To me it sounds like what I would call an adapter power supply i.e a power supply that it housed in an enclosure that plugs straight into a mains socket and provides a low voltage output to power some equipment.

The above is not strictly a 'transformer' as such. It probably doesn't even include a transformer. I guess this because the input is described as 100-240V (very wide input) and products with transformers normally have a fixed single input voltage (probably with a bit of tolerance i.e. +/- 6%)

I would guess it uses what is known as 'Switch Mode' circuitry to reduce the AC voltage and convert it to DC.

An ouput voltage of 4 or 4.6V is a bit intriguing and I would have to guess it has been produced to power a specific bit of equipment. Also there are not many consumer products that have a normal operating voltage as low as 4V (but anything is possible).

As a wild guess, I'd be thinking of something like a power supply to recharge the batteries in an electric razor.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »
From a google search it appears that chargers for Li-Ion batteries commonly give an outut such as this.