Author Topic: Building Warrants - Scotland  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Wully

Building Warrants - Scotland
« on: September 14, 2004, 11:43:25 AM »
When a Building Warrant has been submitted does the local Fire Brigade receive a copy of the proposals and does this provide the details to enable a Fire Certificate to be altered.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 01:56:35 AM »
As I recall in Scotland there is  no legal obligation to consult but they often do anyway. No doubt someone who practised in scotland can confirm.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

guesttt

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 03:19:44 PM »
I can only speak for the glasgow area where the fire authority are not consulted in relation to a building warrent, unless an application for a relaxation is made.

Offline Bill.

• Kelburn Risk Management
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 10:23:08 PM »
Perfectly correct. The legal niceties have to be discussed in that, yes the Fire Certificate requires you to inform the Fire Authority concerned of your proposal to carry out any 'material alteration' to the premises concerned. The Building Control department are only required to consult the FA if they are considering 'relaxations' (in many cases they have a good relationship with the FA and would consult anyhow (workload and time permitting).

The situation you are faced with is do you rely on the fact that you put an application into the Building Control dept and they may have consulted!! A very difficult one to argue in a court, even if they did consult then the point could be raised that they informed the FA of the alterations and by default you, the occupier/owner did not and therefore acted not in compliance with the requirements, as stated in the Fire Certificate.

Long winded but my suggestion would be to inform the Fire Authority PRIOR to carrying out ANY alteration. It can be verbally, by phone, and gives you the comfort of complying with the F Cert.

PS The charges for amending a Fire Certificate following alterations is cheaper than the charge for amending following the issue of Section 8 requirements to rectify any situation.

Offline Sean Maher

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 12:33:20 PM »
Recent changes to the Building Control system in Scotland has brought about a requirement to consult with the local fire authority. The actual requirements for consultation can be found in section 14.2 of the Procedural Handbook, which can be downloaded from www.sbsa.gov.uk.
This only applies to applications made since 1st May 2005.
Any views and/or opinions expressed here are personal and not necessarily those of my employer.