Author Topic: 60/65 db too loud for disabled refuge system?  (Read 15192 times)

Offline nearlythere

Re: 60/65 db too loud for disabled refuge system?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »

As an alternative I am considering a morse code disabled refuge communication system using large filament lamps as the indicators. Obviously, all disabled users, management staff and attending fire service officers will have to be trained in Morse code, but we see this as a small price to pay for the benefits provided ;)
Can you elaborate a little more on your morse code consideration Wiz, especially the training bit?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »
I cannot understand why you are so stuck in the past Dr Wiz.

Filament lamps for use with morse code is really old technology and there are much better modern solutions to this outdated technology.

Have you thought of using LEDs instead of filament bulbs?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:39:56 AM by kurnal »

Offline Wiz

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:52:15 AM »

As an alternative I am considering a morse code disabled refuge communication system using large filament lamps as the indicators. Obviously, all disabled users, management staff and attending fire service officers will have to be trained in Morse code, but we see this as a small price to pay for the benefits provided ;)
Can you elaborate a little more on your morse code consideration Wiz, especially the training bit?

There will be a number of training schemes, each suited to the type of user.

The disabled users will be taught to use the transmit key with various parts of their body and also how to hook up to the various type of receive stimulus (other than the standard visual version) which includes, amongst others, electric shocks at high voltage but low current.

The staff, if local authority employed, will receive their trainining at our purpose-built facility in Hawaii. The two-week long course will also include jobsworth training as related to morse code applications.

The fire service officers training course will be carried out on a winter's afternoon in a hut on a windy hill on Exmoor. This course element includes 10% fast hand movement practice and 90% diversity inclusion training.

Courses can be booked on our website now:

www.giveusyourdosh.com
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:59:09 AM by Wiz »

Offline Wiz

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 08:55:47 AM »
I cannot understand why you are so stuck in the past Dr Wiz.

Filament lamps for use with morse code is really old technology and there are much better modern solutions to this outdated technology.

Have you thought of using LEDs instead of filament bulbs?

We thought of the new technology Prof.

The older LED types were not bright enough.

The modern high-brightness versions have too narrow a viewing angle.

But most importantly, we realised the use of filament lamps would keep our system emergency repair facility in continuous work.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »
Oh, what are we doing?

Banter in the serious areas?

I can feel an Officer Dibble intervention coming on.

But how refreshing it feels to get back to the good old times - if only for a while.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
Would LED not be more planet saving than filament bulbs? As for the very cleverly spotted brightness issue, potential refuge users should be issued with double rim spectacles.
Can you put me down for the morse code course? Handy for tapping central heating pipes with instructions to wife to bring more beer to tv room and fluff up my cushions. She would hear it anywhere in the house.
Do you think it could be heard over the racket of her using the hoover?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.