Author Topic: Travel Distances And The New Guides  (Read 4873 times)

Davo

Travel Distances And The New Guides
« on: September 08, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »
Page 68 of the offices guide quotes travel distances as being flexible. If I remember correctly, the draft new Doc B allows acouple of metres or so as "trade-off"
How flexible is flexible?

Working for a well known police force I have great trouble getting the buggers to close fire doors, as many premises in city centres get so polluted opening the windows, so they prop open all the fire doors for ventilation. (To prevent spillage of tea!)
I have about 100 Dorgards fitted, but cannot afford another 400 that are needed!

Also Note 2 says The travel distance in lower risk premises should only be applied in exceptional cases in the very lowest risk premise where densities are low, occupants are familiar with the premises, excellent visual awareness, and very limited combustibles.
Shurely some mistake???

Another posting talked about evacuation times. If I decided to be very flexible indeed, so flexible as to forget about travel distances I could save a bundle because my premises are very low risk milud!

What I am saying is I cannot rely on the safety regime in the 80+ nicks so have to be prescriptive and follow Doc B as much as possible.
(or is there another way?)

davo

Chris Houston

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 10:11:39 AM »
Davo, I've moved this to the Q&A section, which is where is should be.

Offline Martin Burford

• http://none
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 11:03:12 AM »
Davo
Bravo indeed.....already the nonsense of this RRO is showing its self.
Conqueror

Offline jokar

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 09:50:33 PM »
Self regulation and management are the key to RR(FS)O.  Guidance is just that, the onus of responsibility is for the Responsible Person.  How you do that is down to you.