Author Topic: Floor spring  (Read 7342 times)

Offline clio222

Floor spring
« on: October 10, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
Could someone please explain ( in basic terms ) what are and how do Floor Springs activate/operate I have done some internet research and am more confused than ever. My understanding is that these devices are set in the door threshold however the info on the net is a bit to technical for me any information would be appreciated

Thank you

Offline Wiz

Floor spring
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 11:22:06 AM »
Quote from: clio222
Could someone please explain ( in basic terms ) what are and how do Floor Springs activate/operate I have done some internet research and am more confused than ever. My understanding is that these devices are set in the door threshold however the info on the net is a bit to technical for me any information would be appreciated

Thank you
A floor spring is just another version of a device to ensure a door returns to it's closed position after opening. Floor springs are installed in the floor under the hinged side of a door providing a very neat looking solution for a door closing device. (as opposed, for example, to an overhead door closer)

The door closing is normally achieved, and as the name specifically implies in this version, with a spring, that is stretched when the door is opened but obviously pulls the door closed when it returns to it's normal length.

To ensure the spring does not pull the door closed too quickly, the door closers also normally contain a hydraulic valve, where hydraulic fluid being forced through a valve slows down the 'return to closed' speed.

The flow of this hydraulic fluid can often be controlled by a variable adjuster that consequently adjusts the speed of the door closing. Some closers even have a valve adjustment that allows the door to initially close quite slowly but then 'speed up' over the final few degrees of closing to overcome the friction that may be introduced by any sprung-loaded door latches fitted to the door.

Some door closers versions (including some floor spring versions) also incoporate an electromagnet, that when electrically powered, will hold the door open to allow free access through the doorway. Obviously these versions should always be interfaced to the fire alarm system to disconnect the electrical power to the electromagnet on a fire alarm condition thereby ensuring the door automatically closes.

The company, Briton, manufacture a whole range of door closing equipment, including floor springs, and versions with hold-open electromagnets.

Offline clio222

Floor spring
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »
Wiz Thank you for your reply