Author Topic: Fire risk assessment woes.  (Read 8120 times)

Offline thedeathcake

Fire risk assessment woes.
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:49:15 PM »
Hi there, i'm a new member, just joined today. I have been put in charge of writing up a fire risk assessment for my company. I have done various risk assessments for raw materials in our work places (a paint manufacturer).

But, this business of putting together a fire risk assessment seems confusing. I have obtained and read through the guide from the infoscotland website, which explains alot. I guess i'm asking for some advice about this. What sorts of things to assess.

We have our electrical sockets checked by the insurance's electrician and the battery chargers for the forklifts maintained by the people who provide the forklifts, so i don't know whether we need to do a risk assessment on these items, as they are outwith our control somewhat.

We also have a fuel tank directly outside the premises that powers our heating system, and keep a few barrels of flammable liquids outside, in the yard. The complications arise i guess, with the DSEAR regulations. It would be great if someone could lend some advice on this.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum, it's my first post here, and for the length of the post. Thanks again!

Midland Retty

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:18:50 PM »
Welcome along "thedeathcake"

Reference risk assessment...

You give an example there of your forklift battery chargers being checked by the manufacturer. I presume this would be annually perhaps?

You clearly felt that the chargers were a potential risk - and you are right - they are. So mention them in your assessment to show you have considered it and that yes whilst it may be a risk you have them regularly maintained and inspected and so that risk is reduced - the maintenance and inspection process is a control measure if you like.

Things to look at in your assessment will include:-

Means of Escape
Fire alarm and detection
Compartmentation
Emergency Lighting
Disabled persons
(amongst many others)

If all that is double dutch visit www.firesafetyguides.communities.gov.uk - these are the new RRO guides which give good clear(ish) guidance on how to complete a fire risk assessment and the things to include

Cheers

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:17:25 PM »
Your employer has a duty to seek competent assistance in carrying out his duties under the Regs- whether in England or Scotland. Its absolutely right for him to use staff he already employs to give this competent advice- but the term competent is also defined in the Regs. It sounds as though you have been chucked in the deep end with this one and that is neither legally or morally right.
There are a number of fire risk assessment courses available in the UK and you would be well advised to attend one of these before proceeding further. Thats a win - win situation- you gain skills and your employer gets a competent risk assessment.
Look for a 4 day course and perhaps one underwritten by a national body or fire and rescue service- ABE, IFE, FPA.

Offline Jim Creak

• http://www.means-of-escape.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:36:41 AM »
I cannot agree more...get yourself competent.. you know the business, you know the processes, you know the management of your company.. With a good course on fire risk assessment you become a very valuable employee. You will obviously need to consult.. maybe with a surveyor for the building components, maybe with the fire authority with previous correspondance, and definately with all the other managers in the business.

Some compulsory reading BS 5588 Part 12 and maybe PAS 79 if only because the fire authority use it and the author is a well known Scot.

Offline thedeathcake

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »
Thanks guys/gals. Excuse the odd nickname, it's easy to remember for some reason. I would call myself competent in knowing how the business runs and how the worker in the factory proforms his duties. But as a few of you mentioned, i wouldn't exactly call myself competent in assessing fire risks.

Again, thank you for the guidance on this subject, it is very much appreciated, however i don't see this my company sending me on a fire assessment course, as funds here are rather tight. I will read those links and further discuss this with my manager.

Thanks again!