Author Topic: RRFSO and the licensing act  (Read 35433 times)

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
RRFSO and the licensing act
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 04:02:50 PM »
It means that the licensing authority can't deal with fire anymore. Iguess this is one of the potential problems for Fire Authorities in that it will not be so easy to use the licensing authority to lean on people who do not toe the line.

Saying that the Order is easy enough to enforce so there's no need to use the LA.

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 10:44:11 AM »
It seems that involvement of the Licensing Authority is dependant on the conditions of the licence. Those premises that have transferred (using grandfather rights) to new licences and had a public entertainments licence are still bound by the conditions of it.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 09:58:38 PM »
Until the order comes into force - at which point they cease to have effect.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but I understand the Licencing Act is to enforce the conditions of licence (fit person and such) which does not necessary include Fire Safety. The workplace regs will, for the moment, enforce the standards of Fire Safety (FRA) until the RRFSO comes into force?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »
But the workplace regs do not aply to many of the smaller licensed premises- community halls, small pubs, clubs or where they do they do apply in small workplaces  do not require the findings of the risk assessment to be recorded. So these premises are currently beyond reach.

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 09:53:06 PM »
Quote from: twsutton
Correct me if I am wrong but I understand the Licencing Act is to enforce the conditions of licence (fit person and such) which does not necessary include Fire Safety. The workplace regs will, for the moment, enforce the standards of Fire Safety (FRA) until the RRFSO comes into force?
I will refer to my previous post.

Those premises that have transferred licences are still bound by the conditions of it, particularly PEL, which is enforced by the Licensing officers.

While there is no reference to fire safety in the licence, why is there a public safety objective? This box should be filled in by all applicants.

On the arrival of the RRO, all licensed premises will have to have a written fire risk assessment, irespective of how many are employed to work. Enforcement may be easier and those that have escaped up to now will fall under our remit.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 12:12:35 PM »
If I understand the previous two posts correctly then this is a transitional problem from the Fire Precautions legislation to the RRFSO and could it be resolved by the workplace regs in some cases and if they are too small then is this a serious problem. In the case of PEL's and community halls close liaison with the person in charge or the appropriate authority should be able to resolve any problems.
As for a public safety objective surely this covers more than just fire safety, tanked up patrons causing fights for instance.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline jokar

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 06:09:52 PM »
Just a quickie, under RR(FS)O Fire Risk Assessments will only have to be recorded.  This does not mean in writing.  It could be on disk, on tape or on a computer screen.  It only states recorded in writing in the MHSWR Reg 3 and this info has been deleted from the text of RR(FS)O.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 10:57:35 PM »
As I understand it this was deliberate - new millenium and all that

Offline Martin Burford

• http://none
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 08:07:47 PM »
In the February 06 edition of the IFE Journal, page 33, it states....." A growing body of evidence suggests that the next major loss of life will be in a school fire"..... as I cannot recall reading such evidence.....can anyone help in directing me to these written, published documents.
Obliged,
Conqueror.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 10:09:19 PM »
You won't find it because there isnt any. There is an increase in school fires during the day. but that's not quite evidence that is being suggested.

Offline Martin Burford

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 10:56:29 PM »
wee brian.............are you suggesting that some people are telking porkies ?
Conqueror.

Chris Houston

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 11:51:07 AM »
Although I've recently changed jobs, until recently I had spent the past 4 years surveying schools and looking into school fires.  

In that time I have seen some terrible fire safety situations, much worse than I have seen elsewhere.  I have also seen a rise in daytime fires.

It frustrates me that for reasons I cannot comprehend, people think when others voice concearns about the fire safety in our schools, they are making it up!

For the record, I have no political agenda, nor any reason other than my personal desire to share my knowledge with others, to offer this opinion.

Offline Martin Burford

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 12:24:10 PM »
Chris

Thanks for your response, however I simply asked where I can read this published evidence.
Conqueror

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 03:36:49 PM »
I never accused anybody of porkyfying the facts nor that schools are not a problem but anybody who says that they have evidence of what the next major life loss fire will be is obviousely full of Cattle manure.