Author Topic: The Regulatory Reform (FS) Order 2005  (Read 13223 times)

Offline stevew

• http://firesureuk.co.ok
The Regulatory Reform (FS) Order 2005
« on: December 06, 2005, 07:04:08 PM »
A question on interpretation.

Reference Section 18
Safety Assistance

My interpretation is that the responsible person MAY nominate a fire safety advisor not in his employment as his 'competent person'.
I accept the point that  it should preferably be an employee.

Correct or not?

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:41:46 PM »
Dont confuse competent person with responsible person.

You can't contract out your responsibility. But getting the right level of competency to assess a premises may need external help.

Offline stevew

• http://firesureuk.co.ok
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 10:03:02 PM »
I am not referring to the responsible person.

I refer to where the regulation states that the responsible person MUST obtain the services of a competent person(s),  RRO Section 18 (Safety assistance),

The section goes on to say that if there is someone competent in their employment they MUST be nominated.
My interpretation is that the role can be taken by someone NOT in their employement.  For example a fire safety advisor.

Offline Shaun Doyle

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:19:22 PM »
The safe assistance follows through from the Management Regs and is in essence the same understanding. If the person is in the employment of RP, it makes practical sense, providing that person is competent.

If the size or complex nature or the premises is such and person providing safety assistance is limited in terms of experience, knowledge, training etc then they would not be competent. In which case, it would be reasonable that assistance is brought in from outside the employment.  

Please don't loose sight of the fact that the new Fire Safety Order is not new law, but law that is reformed from around 100 + existing bits of fire legislation. It has gone through the process of reform to primarily be less of a burden on business and commerce etc. Hence, the understanding of safety assistance is from the Management Regs.

Hope this helps.

Shaun
Ivorfire

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 12:57:03 AM »
As always Shaun, bang on!!! When will people understand what you so eloquently explained?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Ken Taylor

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 10:20:19 AM »
Employers have been doing this with regard to general health and safety at least since 1992 (or, at least, should have been!).

Offline colin todd

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 01:41:42 PM »
Not wishing to be pedantic, Kenneth, but actually from 1 January 1993.

Offline Ken Taylor

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 04:31:04 PM »
You're correct as well as pedantic, Colin. It all seems like a vague memory to me but some of us had the thing in operation when the Act came out ready for the start date.

Offline Ken Taylor

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 04:37:11 PM »
What's all this grades of membership about and will it encourage more casual postings in order to gain promotion to Colin's level?

Offline colin todd

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 07:22:08 PM »
Dunno, it just arrived one day. One day, I was just humble old Colin Todd, in his shiny suit. Next day, it was like getting an MBE; I was made a whatsisname member of Firenet. Somehow it seemed to make my whole life worthwhile.

Offline zimmy

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 09:01:11 PM »
While we're on the subject, Alterations notices are causing me a bit of a headache. Has anyone formed an opinion on when and what types of premises they are to be used.  It would seem convenient to bang out a notice on just about any premises we consider to be high risk, but this could prove burdonsome to administer and could end up with the situation of the old 8(4)(5) notices where employers simply didnt bother. Any Thoughts?

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 09:59:49 PM »
They are an oppurtunity to tie you and everybody else up in red tape, they should be used sparingly.

Offline val

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 10:02:58 AM »
WB is dead right,

ODPM are currently writing the first RRO Circular (or whatever it will be called) and this will give some direction. However, in my opinion, FRS should only issue these when the premises is 'potentially' very high risk, e.g shopping complexes, (potentially as in lots of people and complex systems) or those premises which are high risk and poorly managed, e.g nightclubs in basements run by not very nice or incompetent people.

If they are used too frequently they will drive the inspection regimes of FRS whilst other premises go un-audited.

Offline zimmy

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 10:15:03 AM »
Thanks for your comments. I'll look out for the circular - one of many to come no doubt