Author Topic: Approved Doc B - Fire Safety. New Legislation or better Education?  (Read 5624 times)

Offline Danb1203

Hi everyone, (sorry if this is posted in the wrong place - only i'm new here and didn't know the correct place to post it)

I'm currently conducting research about the Approved Documents Part B..... I was looking along the lines of finding faults within the regulation for my dissertation or something along those lines.

I was wondering if anybody on here came across some problems associatted with this part of the regulation? and would you consider that by better education around this part of the regulations would make any difference?

If anybody has any ideas along the line above that you think may be of interest to look into - then please post me

Thanks for looking

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Approved Doc B - Fire Safety. New Legislation or better Education?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 12:21:21 PM »
Dan
I am sure we would be pleased to assist you-but first you need to get your head round the status of the approved doccuments and there they sit in respect of the Building Regs and the Building Act.
I would suggest you start your project with some background reading into the Act, the Regs, the approved documents and the procedural guidance. Try a google search, all is available for free download, you need to understand how and why the Regs came about and the different routes available for compliance. Then we could look at specific weaknesses of the  ADB  in the right context.

Offline Danb1203

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
Yep,

will do....

i'm just at the research stage - still looking into different topics that i could possbily cover in my dissertation.....

but i will definately do some research  - as reccommended...

and i'll get back to you

thanks for the reply

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:25:32 PM »
Dan - how long is a pice of string - there are  more questions than answers on this - what is the research for - Is it for a thesis?

Offline Danb1203

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 11:02:36 AM »
hi again,

yes this is for my thesis......

i've been asking a few questions and have looking into various areas of the Approved Document B - and i can see where your both coming from - my first question was a little vague!!!

What i really wanted to know was information around the fire regulation that you / of people consider needs to be implemented? or changed?

a good example i consider is the basement fire in Avon last year - where the regulations state (not the exact words - but along the lines) where sprinkler systems needn't be installed in basement carparks - on non domestic housings, but like on this case sprinkler systems would have been a very good idea

Really i was just looking for examples or what people have come across.... and how you consider the problems could be over come????

I hope this answers your questions - just ask if there is any more information needed and i'll try to make myself more specific next time.

Thanks

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »
If you are looking for something interesting how about basement ventilation.

Try and look beyond sprinklers - it's getting boring - there are other fire protection systems and issues to consider.

This may help you get started...

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/fire/firefightingunderventilated