Author Topic: Lights or signs for Retained Firefighters  (Read 99805 times)

Offline Lfflee

Lights or signs for Retained Firefighters
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 04:41:07 PM »
Only problem with that is that the government couldn't afford all those Snooker Tables that would be required! :rolleyes:
The harder I work...The luckier I goddam get!

Offline Dragonmaster

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
Nor all the comfy chairs that you're not allowed to sleep in
"Never do today what will become someone's else's responsibility tomorrow"

Offline scotsfirey

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »
This is unlikely to happen when most fire authorities have have within their IRMPs the aim of "reducing the number of blue light journeys". If they are trying to cut the number of journeys that appliances have to make under "blues and twos" they are not going to start sending 20 members of a RDS unit out under them.

Offline maineroad

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »
if the government could afford the comfy chairs & snooker tables you could go W/T ,job done !!!! p.s no axe to grind here im W/T & RDS in my village, two RDS lads just got W/T posts but have left RDS due to having to re locate ,so we are short again!!!

Offline toby14483

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:11 PM »
As part of a busy Retained station, and seeing how some of my colleagues drive, I say NO NO NO NO NO NO!

We once turned out to an AFA, only to be passed by the station in the patch next to us on the way into our area, to extricate one of our probies, who had managed to flip his Modeo 3 times and being brought to a halt by a rather old tree that was a favourite of local old people. Doing no more than 30. Apparently.

I run to work. Real man *poses*. I don't half get some funny looks when I leave my shopping trolley in the middle of Morrisons and run at full pelt out the door.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »
All part the fun though innit? The bit I especially enjoy is knowing everyone is looking at the wife wondering what the hell she's just said to me to make me run like that!!

Offline toby14483

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »
The worst bit is the new alerters we have been given. Especially 2 in the morning. It's loud. DSX loud. It wakes my neighbours up.

When you consider my next door neighbour used to be retained too... he's half way out the door before he realises its not his job anymore.

I suppose you could give retained guys (and gals!) blue lights or whatever, but they would have to receive blue light training, and no brigade is going to stretch to that.

Midland Retty

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 02:42:20 PM »
i had to make a special alarm to wake me up when my alerter goes off - I managed to sleep through the alerter once - theyre very quiet - perghaps I should swap mine with yours toby14483

Offline toby14483

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 06:59:38 PM »
No chance. I slept through my old one. Not a pleasent experience when it gets to the morning and the sub is ringing....

Back on topic, You can get car window stickers and bumper stickers that say "Firefighter on Call" on then. Money goes to the Ben Fund when you buy them I think.

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 07:41:19 PM »
Window stickers just like the one I saw displayed in the window of the 4X4 parked opposite me on the campsite I stayed at this year.

It looked lovely and was complimented by a nice red/white striped bumber just like a pump ...... and a similar coloured body too ...... I could even tell who the proud owner was as he was wearing what looked like most of his uniform too ......

I have to say that if I saw a car approaching me with such a sticker I would immediately get out the way ...... Yeah, Right.

Personally I don't agree with them. I spent 8 years as a retained firefighter and managed just fine responding without a sticker or blue light. Just because you are on call, it doesn't mean you are exempt from the law and can force your way through traffic at goodness knows what speed.

Offline toby14483

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2007, 11:04:57 AM »
No, you may not be bopthered, but in local communities where many people do know the retained firefighters, some people might give a little bit of way. Sometimes you can wait literally minutes for an opening in a junction. Especially rush hour. Every little helps. All it takes is one nice fellow to let you out, and you are there. Or can be at least.

Anyway, I don't have a driving licence, but I know how annoying it is to wait 11 minutes for your LF or 4th man to turn up so you can ride for 30 seconds to an AFA over the road...

Midland Retty

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 01:23:17 PM »
Quote from: Baldyman
Window stickers just like the one I saw displayed in the window of the 4X4 parked opposite me on the campsite I stayed at this year.

It looked lovely and was complimented by a nice red/white striped bumber just like a pump ...... and a similar coloured body too ...... I could even tell who the proud owner was as he was wearing what looked like most of his uniform too ......

I have to say that if I saw a car approaching me with such a sticker I would immediately get out the way ...... Yeah, Right.

Personally I don't agree with them. I spent 8 years as a retained firefighter and managed just fine responding without a sticker or blue light. Just because you are on call, it doesn't mean you are exempt from the law and can force your way through traffic at goodness knows what speed.
It's been explained time and time again in this thread that we dont want any exemptions from traffic law or to break the law or to pose.

But as toby points out some turn out areas get very busy and getting to station in time can be problematic.

Alot of people have said " if the firefighters can no longer reach station in time they shouldnt do the job anymore" thats easier said than done due to geographic demographic financial and recruitment issues associated with getting someone to take their place.

Yes there are posers in all walks of life especially the fire service.

Yes we all know theyre pratts and some just want the pose value associated with blue flashy lights or daft large stickers saying " Hey look at me Im a fire man arent I brilliant"

But we dont want extra privalledges or blue flashy lights

We dont want big signs

We want constructive discussion on this issue on how to combat the problem of things like increased traffic on the roads slowing down our response.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 02:12:57 PM »
Quote from: Midland Retty
Quote from: Baldyman

It's been explained time and time again in this thread that we dont want any exemptions from traffic law or to break the law or to pose.

But as toby points out some turn out areas get very busy and getting to station in time can be problematic.

Alot of people have said " if the firefighters can no longer reach station in time they shouldnt do the job anymore" thats easier said than done due to geographic demographic financial and recruitment issues associated with getting someone to take their place.

Yes there are posers in all walks of life especially the fire service.

Yes we all know theyre pratts and some just want the pose value associated with blue flashy lights or daft large stickers saying " Hey look at me Im a fire man arent I brilliant"

But we dont want extra privalledges or blue flashy lights

We dont want big signs

We want constructive discussion on this issue on how to combat the problem of things like increased traffic on the roads slowing down our response.
This should really be a consideration under IRMP. If a Retd station is usually late in turning out due to traffic problems encountered by responding personnel then the Board must look at day or variable manning and not blues and twos for private cars.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Midland Retty

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2007, 02:55:51 PM »
Quite agree. Good idea.

But why do we keep mentioning blues and twos?

I never have advocated that ret'd cars should have flashy lights or sirens Ive gone out of my way to say specifically and categorically blues are a no no.

Anyway back to the sisue in hand what will the IRMP come up with?

The brigades concerned wont be able to relocate stations due to financial reasons. Close them down then? what is the answer?

Thats what im driving at Im not sure what the IRMP would establish other than to say "yes we have a problem"

Did I mention I DO NOT Advocate the use of FLASH LIGHTS of ANY COLOUR for retained personnel nor any audible devices either lol.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »
Quote from: Midland Retty
Quite agree. Good idea.

But why do we keep mentioning blues and twos?

I never have advocated that ret'd cars should have flashy lights or sirens Ive gone out of my way to say specifically and categorically blues are a no no.

Anyway back to the sisue in hand what will the IRMP come up with?

The brigades concerned wont be able to relocate stations due to financial reasons. Close them down then? what is the answer?

Thats what im driving at Im not sure what the IRMP would establish other than to say "yes we have a problem"

Did I mention I DO NOT Advocate the use of FLASH LIGHTS of ANY COLOUR for retained personnel nor any audible devices either lol.
Many would like blues and twos MR but you seem a sensible sort. Signs may be of some assistance but a few courteous drivers would not be an IRMP factor.
The purpose of the IRMP is to consider all the relevant factors to deliver an effective F&R Service. If a station has difficulty meeting its attendance times due to heavy traffic, albeit only at certain times of the day, then that is a relevant factor.  
A fire engine can deal with heavy traffic much better than a private car.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.