Author Topic: Deemed Competent but now facing 2nd ADC!!  (Read 4811 times)

Offline birty

Deemed Competent but now facing 2nd ADC!!
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:22:51 PM »
Picture the scene!!!  Since 1st ADC pass  been in temp role. Now on competent pay because of my time in temp role (greater than 18mths) Still not managed to get a substantive crew mgr job (bit thin on the ground)  but being told that I will have to do another ADC when it arrives!!  How can someone suddenly become 'not competent or have to prove they are ready for development all over again' even if compiling a PDR and being on competent pay.  Cant get answers from my Brigade. Me thinks they dont have an answer. Does anyone ???

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:35:24 AM »
You are right birty, as long as your competnet rate is due to evidence of your competence, and not just time as you suggest, then you have had your potential for management identified (ADC), been developed and then been assessed (important that this is true and auditable) so should not require to be idenitfied and developed again. The only downside is that ADC success only counts until the start of the second ADC following yours, basically 18 months.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline firedodger

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:00:35 AM »
Hi Birty,

Seems to be the way now that people set up system that doesn't work, and then when it's failings become obvious the same people shrug their shoulders and say 'well; there's nothing we can do, it's the system you see...'

We seems to be particularly bad at taking resposibility for our own decisions, thus the need to hide behind a 'system' and blame that for everything that goes wrong.

The late John Harvey- Jones told the Fire Service that it should reform itself, not wait for the government to do it, as they only ever screw things up.  He also said that the service should be able to sum itself up on one side of A4.  I don't think the service could write a note for the milkman now and keep it to one side of A4.

Offline birty

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
Thanks Guys for advice . Not sure if u R saying that irrespective of being competent I will still have to do another ADC cos 18mths is approaching fast??  That is the whole point of my question. Can/could  the  'system' be questioned!! Seems wrong legally too!!  There must be others in my position.  Interesting to hear the Harvey jones view on things. Would love to see that video - he was a hero of mine but did not realise he had ever 'done' the fire service!! Awesome .  Shame no one listened.  Too many 'yes men' as chief officers I presume.

Offline Steven N

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
It was ever thus people, when i was a temp L/ff years ago I was told i wouldn't need to do another assessment as I would soon be permantly  promoted into the job I had . Lo & behold 3 months later I had to go through another assessment. c'est la vie
These are my views and not the views of my employer