Author Topic: London  (Read 8077 times)

Offline adamant19uk

London
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
I'm an 8 year Ff with a south coast brigade, considering a transfer to London.
Just wanted a little heads up on pros & cons if anyone has any, getting time off, routines, nasty things in the pipeline etc.
Thanks

Offline nearlythere

London
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:22:34 PM »
Quote from: adamant19uk
Just wanted a little heads up on pros & cons if anyone has any, getting time off, routines, nasty things in the pipeline etc.
Thanks
If you move to London Adamant you are more likely to get nasty things in your pipeline then where you are may be coming from if you get my drift. And at the tender age of 27 you will be in a very high risk group. Ghoules, spooks and even worse, a Firenet Forum Xmas Night Out, await you with glee.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline buffalosid

London
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »
hi ..i was a firefighter ( 5yrs) stationed in central bristol. transfered into london 3 years ago and was lucky enough to be stationed at paddington -very very busy and steeped in hitory.

im not sure which brigade you are in but im sure youll find that london is much more laid back in many ways and the guys and gals still know how to enjoy work.
its a monster of a brigade so you here some horror stories but all in all it was a great experience for me ..operationaly it takes a little getting used to and i have to admit i hated it at first but once you get into the grove its fantastic.
youll be working in one of the worlds biggest brigades in a world famous city and if your central youll feel part of something special.

like everywhere the guys moan at the impending changes but its still a traditional brigade in many ways. plans to loose the beds are one rumour but i dont know anymore than that.

im now back in bristol but i do miss london .
my experience was a good one so i personally can recommend it but others may not.
feel free to email me if you want anymore info
"it was better in my day, blah, blah, blah"  
Things change, deal with  it.

Offline adamant19uk

Re: London
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:09:32 AM »
Buff, sent you a pm, would like to discuss it further.
Cheers

Offline Harry Hill

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »

Hi mate, just curious to know if you've put in your transfer request yet, and if so what was the initial response from  London?
I'm also in the South, been in for 6 years and would like very much to transfer up to London. On the official LFB website there used to be a section on transferring but it's no longer there, so it makes me wonder whether they aren't looking to take transferees. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline twistedfirestopper

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:33:54 PM »
Thanks
Try putting the post on this site as well and see what information you get back.

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/forum/index.php?

Offline adamant19uk

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »

Hi mate, just curious to know if you've put in your transfer request yet, and if so what was the initial response from  London?
I'm also in the South, been in for 6 years and would like very much to transfer up to London. On the official LFB website there used to be a section on transferring but it's no longer there, so it makes me wonder whether they aren't looking to take transferees. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As I understand it they take transferees & recruits at the same time. I applied in October (I think), haven't heard anything yet, they are obviously still thinking about whether I can do my job!

Offline wyngwili

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »
I applied as so did a colleague in October and neither of us have heard a thing.  Its interesting to hear what the general process is over transfer as I have applied for London and I obviously plan to do a whole career in the fire service.  However with prices being so high over 30 yrs I may wish to move home.  Not that I plan to join and then transfer as that would be wrong and its not guaranteed by  a long shot ill get in anyway.

Anyway anybody here have a similar experience? And is it a big no no.