Author Topic: BA - Difficulties with sense of direction  (Read 9467 times)

Offline allornothing

BA - Difficulties with sense of direction
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:29:48 PM »
Hi guys,

I need help. I've recently passed my BA initial, and did well, but I have a problem with my sense of direction. When inside, I sometimes get confused as to where I am. If I stay on my wall, not a problem I can get out safely but I can get confused as to where I've been. When reporting to ECO I find it almost impossible to draw a picture of where I have been, or the route I took, yet I see colleagues come out the building and draw their route as if they had completed the exercise in broad daylight. I landmark, but I still struggle with the route. So on exit I need to stick on the wall or I could get lost, whereas ideally I want to know I can ignore certain doors, and similarly know I've missed a door when/if I do.

Does anyone have any ideas or exercises that I can try to help improve this. My sense of direction on the road is pretty poor too so I'm guessing the 2 are connected. I know that practise will improve my skills, but I'm retained and as you can imagine we do not get to practise BA very often. The job means everything to me and I'll do whatever it takes to improve.

Thanks in advance guys

Offline Morri

Re: BA - Difficulties with sense of direction
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 08:29:25 AM »
Allornothing, it does take time to get used to, particularly when you are still just getting used to wearing BA which in itself freaks some folks out!

Ever used an etch-a-sketch? You know, you draw a single line using left/right and up/down controls. Try imagining as you enter a building that you are drawing that line, build a picture in your head of the left/right turns, eventually you will build up a plan of the building on your imaginary etch-a-sketch.

Try this with somewhere familiar, say at home, then gradually in less familiar areas. No, you don't need to walk around with your eyes closed  ;D remember you are practicing building a plan in your head, not the whole BA thing.

One other important point, don't bluff it! I know it might be a difficult thing to discuss with the rest of the crew, but you need to let them know that you are having difficulties before you find yourself in a dangerous situation at a job.

But don't worry, keep working at it and you'll get more confident as time goes on.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 09:40:04 AM »
Hi guys,

I need help. I've recently passed my BA initial, and did well, but I have a problem with my sense of direction. When inside, I sometimes get confused as to where I am. If I stay on my wall, not a problem I can get out safely but I can get confused as to where I've been. When reporting to ECO I find it almost impossible to draw a picture of where I have been, or the route I took, yet I see colleagues come out the building and draw their route as if they had completed the exercise in broad daylight. I landmark, but I still struggle with the route. So on exit I need to stick on the wall or I could get lost, whereas ideally I want to know I can ignore certain doors, and similarly know I've missed a door when/if I do.

Does anyone have any ideas or exercises that I can try to help improve this. My sense of direction on the road is pretty poor too so I'm guessing the 2 are connected. I know that practise will improve my skills, but I'm retained and as you can imagine we do not get to practise BA very often. The job means everything to me and I'll do whatever it takes to improve.

Thanks in advance guys

Allornothing. As they say, well me anyway, when the alligators are snapping at your arse it is difficult to remember that the reason you went into the pool in the first place was to pull the plug out.
As Morri says you'll get used to it.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »
An other exercise you could try is to draw out plans of places you know. Just go for a single line sketch and measure it out in paces. Start by noting down the measurements as you do them, then try it from memory. Then start adding details like the position of furniture etc.

Don't worry when you start if you find you can't get the rooms inside the building into the outline of the building itself you will gradually get the hang of it.

Remember, no-one is asking you for architects plans, just a reasonable idea of the inside of a building and where you have been.

Another trick to try is to walk around your home in the dark. You will bang your shins to start with but you will start to prepare and use a mental map of the place.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Kaiser

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
I have had students that have approached me with the same problem in the past.  I always explain to them that this is a skill which will come over time, the most important thing to remember is the number of compartments you have entered and on which lay you were searching.  This allows the ECO to pass on the information to the next teams.  If you make a verbal note to your partner that you are now for example in the 3rd room, you will remember it easier, if you leave the 3rd room to exit the building with a casualty for instance, you will remember the 3rd room and pass that information on to the ECO and further teams.  The exact layout of premises is extremely difficult to work out in smoke filled, darkened rooms when you are working hard and some are better at it than others.  Try to concentrate on important things rather than being able to draw an in depth plan as they are often not a true reflection of the layout of the premises.  Stick to what is important and the rest will happen all by itself.

Good luck mate
Kaiser
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline allornothing

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the comments and helpful advice. It's good to know there's a place to get help when you need it.

Best wishes and merry Christmas to you all

Offline Chunty

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »
Sense of direction issues can be a serious one as we experienced recently.

During the debrief of an exercise in which the ECO had found it difficult to track the whereabouts of Team 3 or confidantly build up a plan of where had been searched, the following emerged.

Team 3 had been sent in on a first floor right hand search, Team 2 ahead of them on the left. Team 2 had located a casualty and began retracing their steps to the entry point. When briefing the ECO they reported having passed Team 3, "this isn't possible" stated the ECO, "they are on a right hand search". Team 2 remained adamant and the ECO asked Team 3 leader to confirm their status by radio which was returned as "right hand search".

During the debrief the situation became no clearer with Team 3 acknowledging that they had passed Team 2 but on a right hand search not a left. In the end an instructor took them back in to the building used to demonstrate their search pattern as lead by the team leader a 20 year plus firefighter.

When they demonstrated it was clear that they had in fact gone in on the left and when questioned the team leader showed that he has used his right hand to contact the wall because he preferred to carry the branch in his left hand, but he did so by placing his right arm across his chest and contacting the wall.. to his left hand side!

Now if that ain't frightening what is?

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »
Sense of direction issues can be a serious one as we experienced recently.

During the debrief of an exercise in which the ECO had found it difficult to track the whereabouts of Team 3 or confidantly build up a plan of where had been searched, the following emerged.

Team 3 had been sent in on a first floor right hand search, Team 2 ahead of them on the left. Team 2 had located a casualty and began retracing their steps to the entry point. When briefing the ECO they reported having passed Team 3, "this isn't possible" stated the ECO, "they are on a right hand search". Team 2 remained adamant and the ECO asked Team 3 leader to confirm their status by radio which was returned as "right hand search".

During the debrief the situation became no clearer with Team 3 acknowledging that they had passed Team 2 but on a right hand search not a left. In the end an instructor took them back in to the building used to demonstrate their search pattern as lead by the team leader a 20 year plus firefighter.

When they demonstrated it was clear that they had in fact gone in on the left and when questioned the team leader showed that he has used his right hand to contact the wall because he preferred to carry the branch in his left hand, but he did so by placing his right arm across his chest and contacting the wall.. to his left hand side!

Now if that ain't frightening what is?
That is very frightening Chunty. Is he/she still in the job?

Offline Chunty

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
I am almost embarrassed to say that yes he is.

Probably the most shameful aspect of all this was the totally ineffective reaction of the training department BAI's who thought it more amusing than concerning, it was evident from their mirth that because the guy was retained it was considered acceptable for him to be so inept and remain on the run.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »
I am almost embarrassed to say that yes he is.

Probably the most shameful aspect of all this was the totally ineffective reaction of the training department BAI's who thought it more amusing than concerning, it was evident from their mirth that because the guy was retained it was considered acceptable for him to be so inept and remain on the run.
Bums on seats is more important than competance.