Author Topic: Search and Rescue - Marking of Door Ways  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Acco

Search and Rescue - Marking of Door Ways
« on: May 10, 2005, 02:18:57 PM »
Thank you for reading

We in NSW of Australia are wondering about S&R Techiques in particular the marking of entrances to smoke filled rooms that have had a primary search conducted.

The idea is to create a uniform approach to the marking of rooms (eg bedrooms; kichens; lounge rooms; hoel rooms ect) that a primary search has been conducted (in a fire situation)

If we could learn of current techinques or even ideas to help us out it would be great.

PS
I am not so much talking (but if you had an idea it would be great) to large complexes but more so to residencal homes, office spaces, dormartories and small hotels/motels.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE CONSIDERED HELPFUL IN SAVING LIVES

messy

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:37:55 PM »
I have attended a number of Hotel fires where short lengths of traffic tape (barrier tape) were tied onto door handles to identify those searched.

Extremely important in those cases where you have more BA teams that master keys, as subsequent crews often resort to forcibly entering a 'cleared' room.

As I have said, this is not London procedure, but something devised ad hoc at the scene by a brilliant young (and gifted) Sub Officer

Offline Acco

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 02:02:54 AM »
Thank you messy. I will look into that one. It sounds along the tracks of what we need.

Offline Jon M

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 06:14:38 PM »
involved in hotel fire some years ago and the crews who went in before draped towels from the room over the top of the door and closed it indicating to subsequent crews that the room had been searched
saved a lot of time

Offline neal pick gmcusar

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 07:43:13 PM »
last year at the fire exhibition I was given a set of door markers that clipped over the edge of the door , looked like a section of 60mm polypipe with a door thickness cut out of one edge. fitted with reflective tape they clip over the edge of the door at any given level.
this holds the door lock out of its keep and indicated the room had been entered and or searched. I'll see if Ive still got them in my goody bag.

Neal P