Author Topic: A, B, C, D, Remote Rural  (Read 4763 times)

Chris Houston

A, B, C, D, Remote Rural
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »
I call these isolation codes, I think that's the correct term.  Let me know if I got it wrong (these are the 5 categories that the UK is divided into each has a different responce time).

But my question is, how does a member of the public like me, establish the code for a location?

Is there a map?

messy

A, B, C, D, Remote Rural
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 09:07:38 PM »
The ABCD and remote rural were risk classifications, which determined the speed and weight of attack in a given area. The standards were based on the buildings (and density of buildings) in a geographical area.

That's all history as each Brigade set their own 'targets' when they write their IRMP (integrated Risk Management Plan). The targets are supposed to reflect the occupancy rather than the building so are seen as risk based

The sad truth is that FRS are often using this risk based appraoch to downgrade attendance times, thereby allowing cutbacks in fire cover

So the answer is contact the relevant FRS and they should be able to tell you the given target time in the area in question

Chris Houston

A, B, C, D, Remote Rural
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 09:53:50 PM »
Thanks.  This is what I expected was the case.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
A, B, C, D, Remote Rural
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:57:12 PM »
Chris
In the old days these risk categories were the responsibility of each brigade- they had both a prose description and a formula for their calculation.
Every few years the brigade had to review their risk categorisation maps which was done by going out armed with the 1-10000 scale maps, applying the formula calculation to establish the size and height of the buildings, coluring them in on the map and then the predominant colour determined the risk for the map grid square. You needed a number of linked squares of a certain colour to justify the risk profile for the area and if in doubt the prose description would be used. The whole exercise was reviewed by the HMI and of course the higher the risk the greater the rate support funding.
The maps would be held at HQ but as Messy says its all ancient history now- the IRMP will determine the attendance levels and any attendance times. This is a public document and should be available for your scrutiny on request.