Author Topic: Almagamation Of Uk Ambulance and Fire Authorities  (Read 32252 times)

Almagamation Of Uk Ambulance and Fire Authorities
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 12:50:39 PM »
No medical call outs for the Brigade

First aid at the scene of an incident is one thing, becoming a secondary ambulance service is another.

No no no no no!

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2004, 01:04:59 PM »
To Barry,
I considered each of the points you raised and also came up with a few myself. However they are all based upon the traditional and current roles and perceptions of what all the emergency services in their current form are about in terms of both their legal and social duties and responsibilities.
The Fire Service especially is in a state of flux in relation to what its function and structure are all about and with things as they stand i feel change is inevitable. In its present form the Service nationally is probably not ideally positioned to take on the role of the paramedic service for some of the reasons you state, however you can bet that as part of the 'modernisation' agenda we soon will be. Say 2-3 yrs down the line maximum.
At the present time the vision of some is simply based on the 'principle' that FS resources could be utilised in a wider public service role. The barriers to the enactment of the principle some of which you state will be overcome through negotiation at both local and national level. Although i sadly feel that the negotiations will revolve around the identification of local solutions to meet national guidance which as we have found out to our cost are often not up for discussion.
What i feel this in essence means is that a co-response role for the FS will inevitably be driven nationally by the ODPM with only the 'local' issues for its enactment being subject to negotiation between the health authority, the fire authority and the rep bodies. Sorry to be so negative but i feel that the days of disputing and grievancing the will of higher authority are gone forever. What we might however be able to do is utilise our skills and experiences to ensure that when it does come we can negotiate the best possible solution for the sake of the public and the good standing of the Service. We are after all the premier emergency service and are therefore conditioned to sorting out other peoples problems or mis-adventures. This time however we'll have to do it to meet a political agenda.

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2004, 01:05:31 PM »
Sorry, the above was sumitted by Mike Anderson.

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2004, 01:45:54 PM »
;) Thats what these forums are all about - to gather ideas and point of views on wide ranging subject matter !  :D

I think eventually yes we will have to undertake the role which begs the question really about the original thread on this topic - are the fire and ambulance authorities slowly drifting back together soon to be rejoined?

The plot thickens, one thing I do agree with you on Mike is that the service will change forever now, its already started and in years to come fire and rescue may not actually be called fire and rescue !!!!!!

Who knows how it will evolve, but I think there is one thing we all agree on  - the emergency services are there to save life .....and always will do.Readiness to protect always.

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2004, 04:01:11 PM »
What a fantastic idea for this thread. Just what might we be called in the future. Personally as a dinosaur i see nothing wrong with the term Fire Brigade. In the USA FDNY has not changed its brand identity in spite of changes to work practices. So why us?

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2004, 11:31:34 PM »
Aha! Indeed .

Well first we were Fire Brigades, then Fire and rescue services, some of us then became fire and civil defence...

In the future will our name change again to reflect the differing roles we cover?

Maybe the "Predominantly Fire but other emergencies as well service" could be one possibility.

Oh ignore me Im just being silly now!!!!

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2004, 09:51:43 AM »
I think its likely the fire brigade name will be changed in the future.

Very good point made I think.

Looks like not all Station Officers are thick!!!!! *chuckles* :rolleyes:

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2004, 02:29:46 PM »
Charming! Thanks for that (Im acting Station Commander actually - Thats Ass Div Off to the likes of you and me)  ;)

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2004, 03:04:25 PM »
who's job do you want next, heh, how about you guys be Police Officers as well ... yes, have a go at that !!

lol  :lol:

Best Wishes,
Karl

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2004, 04:06:59 PM »
We would Karl but we may get knicked!

Hope you aren't offended about this topic - we aren't having a go at paramedics in anyway shape or form - its the upper management of the ambulance service and to a degree the governement /NHS we question not you guys and girls on the front line.

Keep up to good work.

B Jeffries

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2004, 11:07:21 PM »
I cross posted this topic on the ambulance999 forum - if you want to see the ambulance crews response go over to the site & look
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2004, 03:23:37 PM »
whereabouts was it posted cos I ant find it mush!

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2004, 10:12:31 AM »
I saw your posting on ambulance999.co.uk and think it was slightly harsh there Anderson

We are not making this an argument between smoke eaters and the green on scene brigade as your thread seems to imply, although comments from our colleagues in the ambulance services would be more than welcome.

The question asked was as follows "does anyone think the ambulance and fire service be re amalgamated"!.

I've been a paramedic and a firefighter in my long and distinguished career .

Both the fire service and the ambulance service do a fantastic job, and i dont think any one on this forum is critisising front line paramedics in anyway shape or form.

There has been a lot of rumours banded about regarding ambulance and fire services being centralised and I think it was a fair question to ask.

Lets not make this a fire service v Ambulance service  squabble  :evil:

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2004, 01:47:50 PM »
Have been on the site you mention and cannot find anything submitted by me whatsoever. FS v AMB/Paramedic, exactly where have you seen make this comparison or question the commitment of the members of either service. I have endeavoured to approach this topic from the point of view of the current political agenda and the need for improvement in performance standards at the point of service delivery. All my points on this have nothing to do with the points you raise in respect of the content and tone of my contribution. It seems you are reading an agenda into my contributions that simply doesn't exist.