Author Topic: Evacuation chairs  (Read 6421 times)

Evacuation chairs
« on: March 17, 2004, 02:19:12 PM »
I am a Facilities Supervisor in a 6 floor building of about 400 people, it is a mulit tenented building and we carry out the facilities for 80% of the building. I used to work on the Shell base in Lowestoft were we had Evacuation chairs. My question is, with the revised DDE in October will it be a legal requirement to have a form of evacuation for disabled people :?:

Dave  [/list][/code]

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Evacuation chairs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 10:40:33 PM »
It is already a legal requirement to have suitable arrangements to evacuate ALL people safely. That includes disabled people. If there are currently not suitable arrangements to evacuate those diabled people who use the building, be they mobility impaired, deaf, blind, or whatever, you are in breach of legislation .
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline afterburner

Evacuation chairs
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 03:48:08 PM »
Further to what Colin has just said, the reponsibilty for evacuation of all people (disabled or not) rests with the Employer. The concept of evacuating disabled people to safe refuges and waiting for the fire brigade is not acceptable. You need to consider the whole process, how do warn disabled people, how and where do they move, how and (if necessary)with who's help do they complete their evacuation.

Evacuation chairs
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 10:24:08 AM »
I work for a Company in Holland who sell evacuation chairs across Europe, UK, Middle East and would be happy to send anyone information on our products.  Please also refer to www.vanleeuwencompanies.com. Very interested to see people really taking this issue seriously.   :D

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Evacuation chairs
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 11:53:49 AM »
Oh go on then. I'll have a copy.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates