Author Topic: Fire Safety for Flat to rent  (Read 9743 times)

Fire Safety for Flat to rent
« on: March 18, 2004, 12:24:24 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a flat and renting it out in Scotland.

If I were to divide it into individual rooms for students, at what number of rooms does it become a HMO and what are the additional rules?

If I just get a small place and rent it to an individual, what must I do?

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 03:48:13 AM »
Suggest you seek advice from the fire authority and also obtain the guidance doc that applies to HMO licensing in Scotland, as this is too long to answer on here.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline firey

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 02:45:31 PM »
I wouldnt look at it as what you have to do, but what you can do.  The regs are only for guidance.  The more safe the place is, the better.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 06:32:34 PM »
Is it possible that someone could even tell me when a flat becomes a HMO.  2 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms, 4?

Can anyone give a basic overview?  Is it a case of putting in fire extingiushers, fire detection and fire doors?  Is one means of escape suitable from a first floor tennament?

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 12:01:19 AM »
I was in FS in a scottish brigade and have done HMO inspections i will give you what i know which is not alot. Each authority i think can set their own level as to when a house/flat is classed as an HMO at the moment it will be a hmo when there is more than 3 people of different families living in the same house /flat. As colin said above i would get the guidance on HMO and contact the local council as it is them who the fire authority inspect the HMO on behalf off.

hope this helps

Offline ian 2243

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 08:34:50 AM »
The above posts are correct, you really need to get local guidance. Apart from fire regs, gas appliance safety et al, Glasgow City Council has local policy issues as a result of dubious landlords renting out student accommodation in tenement flats. The most serious being the deaths of 2 students a few years back when they could not escape from a burning flat as a result of barred windows in a basement flat.
Contact Glasgow City Council on 0141-287-2000 or Strathclyde Fire Brigade for info.
Ian
 ;)

Offline ian 2243

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 10:12:59 AM »
I should have added that other Scottish towns and cities have their own local policies hence the need to get info at source.
Ian
 ;)

Offline afterburner

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 03:21:46 PM »
Same applies to Edinburgh, get in touch with Fire Safety, Lothian & Borders Fire Brigade 0131 228 2401

Offline ian 2243

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 02:44:00 PM »
Marty,
This is from 1998 and is a consultation document only ...................

Ian
 :?