Author Topic: PUBLIC ASSEMBLY BUILDINGS  (Read 4504 times)

PUBLIC ASSEMBLY BUILDINGS
« on: April 18, 2004, 08:57:41 AM »
Has anyone read about the Budapest Sports Arena fire 1999?
http://www.tuzinfo.hu/?nyelv=en&oldal=hir&hir=121

In the UK the Sporting Arenas are often used to host ehibitions and trade events, often the displays contain combustibles whether they would lead to rapid spread of fire-I don't know? does anyone?
Who controls the fire loading on the exhibition floor-is it licensing?
I guess that most of these arenas are outside the scope of ADB, ie compartment size and travel distance. So if this a fire engineering solution are these fire loadings taken into account?

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 08:40:34 PM »
Please describe a sporting arena. There are many different types. Do you mean a structure like the NEC at Birmingham or perhaps a covered stadium like the Millennium Stadium at Cardiff?
In any event the venue will have a generic fire strategy that will involve developed strategies for running the event together with  fixed installations etc. of some description particularly indoor arenas. This may mean anything from AFD through to sprinklers.
For specific uses each event will be subject to Risk Assessment.
The event is controlled through the Licensing Authority, usually the local council. They will have a safety certificate issueing team consisting generally of the Licensing Officers, Building Control, Police and Fire Service personnel. Dont forget that even with all these it is still aplace of work and therefore subject to the Workplace Regulations.
If what is proposed is not satisfactory then the event does not get it's licence.
Motor shows for example will have cars that do not have fuel (generally).

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 09:43:40 PM »
I followed the link

Very interesting, but there was no mention of any casualties.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 06:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I was talking mainly about a NEC type building.
There were no injuries, its good to know there is strict controls like FB and BC. I am very suspicious of management of large events.

Also, the AFD failed to respond.