Author Topic: manual call point being set off  (Read 3820 times)

Offline lyledunn

manual call point being set off
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
I have charge of the fire alarms in a number of HMOs where the MCPs in the common areas are being set off in typical prank style on an all too regular basis. I blanked them off  from some of the worst affected properties and documented the reasons in my periodic inspection and test certificate which were subsequently sent to the licensing authority. The landlord has received a demand from the licensing authority to have tthe mcps re-instated otherwise the licence will be revoked and prosecution will result. I contacted the authority and explained the situation including the ramifications of frequent false alarms and whilst there was a sympathetic ear nothing will do but the units are to be replaced.
I would love some evidence to support my suspicion that MCPs in such places have little value other than a play thing for the demented. I would have thought that a tolerable alternative might be to locate the units just inside the door of each flat?

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: manual call point being set off
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »
I have seen that done before with some success in student tower blocks where a full evacuation is required. It works in that scenario.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
I have charge of the fire alarms in a number of HMOs where the MCPs in the common areas are being set off in typical prank style on an all too regular basis. I blanked them off  from some of the worst affected properties and documented the reasons in my periodic inspection and test certificate which were subsequently sent to the licensing authority. The landlord has received a demand from the licensing authority to have tthe mcps re-instated otherwise the licence will be revoked and prosecution will result. I contacted the authority and explained the situation including the ramifications of frequent false alarms and whilst there was a sympathetic ear nothing will do but the units are to be replaced.
I would love some evidence to support my suspicion that MCPs in such places have little value other than a play thing for the demented. I would have thought that a tolerable alternative might be to locate the units just inside the door of each flat?
Who or what do you mean by the Licensing Authority Lyle?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:39:23 PM »
Nearlythere,
I do not want to mention the authority by name as my query, whilst specific in this case, is of interest to me also in general tems but I know that you could make a fair guess given that they are probably, themselves, the biggest landlord in this neck of the woods!

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:50 PM »
These methods have worked in the past, depending upon precise circumstances:

1.  Locate MCPs behind secure doors so only residents, and their guests, have access to them (as you have already suggested).
2.  Put CCTV aiming at them (positioned so as to catch the faces of people), with signs highlighting the CCTV, and use terms of lease which will punish perpetrators, or their hosts if not residents (fines or eviction).
3.  Compensate for removal of MCPs with L1 FA system and justify removal formally.
4.  Investigation time if wardens on site.

Stu

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 07:20:31 AM »
Nearlythere,
I do not want to mention the authority by name as my query, whilst specific in this case, is of interest to me also in general tems but I know that you could make a fair guess given that they are probably, themselves, the biggest landlord in this neck of the woods!
Lyle. There are none so deaf as those who will not listen.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.