FIRE SAFETY > You couldnt make it up!

Dangerous? What is your opinion?

(1/3) > >>

Wiz:
I'd like your opinion regarding the fire safety facilities in a hotel, which is highly-rated on Tripadvisor, located in the capital city of an EU country.
The hotel looks to have been built no longer than 20 years ago. It has 9 floors with only 3 bedrooms per floor. There is a single staircase (no other escape staircase) and a lift serving all floors, the doors of which open directly on to the corridor of each floor.
There are no doors on the escape route on any floor - smoke could travel totally unimpeded from the ground floor reception area all the way up to the ninth floor. Whilst there is AFD in the reception area and in the bedrooms there is no AFD whatsoever on the escape route. I noticed that there were adequate Manual call points and alarm sounders. I noticed that there is a fire extinguisher on each floor.
If I hadn't paid for my 4 night stay in advance I would have left as soon as I noticed the lack of fire detection and fire doors. As it was, I didn't sleep very well!
I have subsequently emailed the hotel with my concerns but received no response. The fire safety facilities seem inadequate to me and I am concerned for the safety of other hotel guests. If you think my concerns are valid what do you suggest I could do about it?

AnthonyB:
I assume (hope!) it's not in the UK!

We knocked things like this on the head back in 1972 (at least with protection of escapes, AFD took a little longer) when we brought hotels under the FP Act.

Despite some claims over our fire safety legislation being a failure post Grenfell it seems to be far superior to many countries.

If there are any issues with our set up it's the way it's followed by some not the base set up.

I wouldn't be comfortable unless there was evidence of engineered alternatives such as sprinklers & smoke control.

You are now going to say this place is in London, which will then further reinforce my view that the Building Regulation process doesn't really work these days....

I suppose you could complain to the relevant enforcing authority whoever that is...

Wiz:
No, it isn't in London, I am very pleased to say.

I saw no evidence of a sprinkler system.

colin todd:
My advice to you is to forget it and book a holiday in Scotland next year, where you can be assured that the hotels will have been audited by members of the finest FRS in the world if not the universe.

Owain:

--- Quote from: colin todd on December 16, 2017, 11:09:42 PM ---My advice to you is to forget it and book a holiday in Scotland next year, where you can be assured that the hotels will have been audited by members of the finest FRS in the world if not the universe.

--- End quote ---

Scottish FRS Hotel Audit

Pass => 17 marks

Smoke detectors (1 mark if present)
Door closers (1 mark if present)
Bossy laminated notices (1 mark if present)
Tartan carpets (1 mark if present)
Porridge (0-10 marks depending on quality)
Black Pudding (0-10 marks depending on quality)
Treacle Scones (0-10 marks depending on quality)
Picture of Nicola Sturgeon in bedrooms (20 marks if present)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version