Author Topic: Vehicles blocking emergency services  (Read 16607 times)

Offline wellscrambled

Vehicles blocking emergency services
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:20:09 PM »
I left the fire service a few years ago now but I recently came across the following idea and thought that would be useful for when inconsiderate people block access for emergency vehicles.  The service is called Park Angel (link is http://www.parkangel.co.uk/cart.php?page=home) and they provide a means to contact a car owner by free and immediate text message.  Not much use if the offending car isn't a member, but might be worth them contacting Brigades to get their support.

Does anyone know if any Brigades actively support this?

Nick

messy

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:43:23 AM »
I prefer this method when dealing with badly parked cars:

http://www.robsell.com/pics/0wned/car-hydrant.jpg

Offline wellscrambled

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 10:50:50 AM »
Very good!!  Perhaps I'll pass to Park Angel for their advertising!

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »
The best way to deal with a vehicle blocking a MOE is a fork lift and directions to the nearest river.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Big T

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:16:31 PM »
I find semtex highly effective

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:13:31 PM »
My brigade has just, in conjunction with the Ambulance service, launched a big publicity campaign to try and combat this problem as well as arming all the appliances with leaflets to put on cars that get in the way, obviously this is no help at the time but it is a proactive approach!

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:18:29 AM »
Andy, my brigade does something similar.

Also, where vehicles are illegally parked then in partnership with the police we’ve used community support officers to educate (give parking tickets) I must add here that this is a last resort not the first course of action.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 05:14:05 PM »
I'd make it a first resort the sort of people who park so inconsiderately that a fire appliance can't get through are exactly the same people who would kick a big fuss and expect a ticket on the car that was blocking their own access should it ever occur!

Chris Houston

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 06:05:28 PM »
I don't blame the public, most don't know what a fire hydrant is!  Perhaps the councils should take some responsibility to prevent or deter people from parking over hydrants.  Either through using existing parking restriction powers, or by introducing new restrictions.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 06:34:10 PM »
That's a slightly different issue Chris and I'm inclined to agree with you on that one, what I am talking about is people parking and not leaving sufficent room for an appliance to pass, I am talking about the people whop park with half their car still sticking out, opposite tight junctions or even double parking partially blocking the road! and believe me it happens more often than you would think!

We had a station who actually had to re allocate their number 1 appliance to a different station simply because it was too big to fit down some of the streets, this wasn't a problem with the streets but with the idiots parking thoughtlessly down them!!

Offline jokar

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »
Perhaps the issue is one of education rather than anything else.  Many people do not realise the size of an appliance as they do not often see them.  A neighbour of mine parks outside in the same spot every day even though they have a drive large enough to take the car, (it leaks oil).  Nominally okay but at the moment the road is being dug up by the gas company with barriers around the holes. Only a motorcycle could get through the gap they left.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 10:03:36 PM »
Go and educate them then!.... now before your house catches fire!:)

I appreciate what your saying but I thought that level of basic knowledge was acquired before you were allowed a driving license!!

Offline jokar

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 09:33:58 AM »
I beleive they were educated in full by a van driver with colourful language to match.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
Quote from: Andy Cole
I'd make it a first resort the sort of people who park so inconsiderately that a fire appliance can't get through are exactly the same people who would kick a big fuss and expect a ticket on the car that was blocking their own access should it ever occur!
Unfortunately Andy being inconsiderate isn`t illegal, the police can only take action against illegally parked vehicles. We have to be fair and reasonable. The use of the local press to highlight the problems is another idea that has been used locally as have letter drops through letterboxes in known problem areas is also used.  

Incidentally we have been banned from putting leaflets in the obvious place (under the wiper blade) in case we damage the vehicle!

Offline afterburner

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 11:33:20 AM »
try writing the message on the bonnet with a sharp implement.