Author Topic: Vehicles blocking emergency services  (Read 16640 times)

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

Vehicles blocking emergency services
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I was out with a crew last year when they came across parked vehicles which impeded the progress of the pump, although not on a call. A couple of us got off to put leaflets on the cars which aroused suspicion of some of those in a que outside a parcel office.

One chap asked why I had put a leaflet on his car (not a happy bunny as he had to leave the queue to move it). I informed him politely that he was obstructing the road, was illegally parked anyway and if he wished to make an issue of the matter, I would request the Police to attend, which meant he would have got a ticket.

He was not happy, but I did mention that in an emergency we need to get applinaces through and people like him don't help by inconsiderately parking. He apologised and told me he would be more thoughtful in the future. (Yeah, right!)

Even with publicity, leaflets on cars partnership working with the Police and education, the public really don't care that their naff parking may inconvenience crews attempting to get through because, even in their own streets, it's a "it'll never happen to me" attitude.

Chris Houston

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 04:00:58 PM »
Quote from: Dinnertime Dave
Incidentally we have been banned from putting leaflets in the obvious place (under the wiper blade) in case we damage the vehicle!
Banned by who?

Offline Pip

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »
probably breaks the law of 'torts'.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 07:18:29 PM »
Quote from: Chris Houston
Incidentally we have been banned from putting leaflets in the obvious place (under the wiper blade) in case we damage the vehicle!
Banned by who?
HSE by any chance just in case you catch a finger nail under the blade.

Don't you think this highlights just how ridiculous things are becoming?

Chris Houston

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 07:25:59 PM »
Quote from: Andy Cole
Banned by who?
HSE by any chance just in case you catch a finger nail under the blade.

Don't you think this highlights just how ridiculous things are becoming?
It is easy to focus on the silly rules, just like it is easy for newspapers to report on the crazy court cases.  I wonder what the facts are.  Who banned it and why?

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 05:02:24 PM »
A polite message in Dulux white gloss paint across the windscreen should do the trick.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 08:42:26 PM »
I worked in the Londond Docklands when it was being redeveloped in the 80s. The security staff had a neet way of dealing with unauthorised parking. They had a polite please dont park here again sticker.

It was about A3 size and the sort of sticker that kept tearing when you tried to get it off again.

A better deterent than parking fines!

Chris Houston

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 08:48:13 PM »
If you are talking about the type that are stuck on windows, this is dangerous as it can obscure the visibility of driver.

I am sure there are better ways to deter drivers than "vandalising" badly parked cars.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »
Banned by who?
Sorry to disappoint those waiting to crucify the health and safety police. My brigade has a department called Risk Management. From what I can gather they assess the potential backlash from litigation or bad press etc and advise accordingly.

Now before anybody crucifies me, I’m only reporting facts not making policies.

Chris Houston

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »
It sounds like your Risk Management department are a little bit too risk averse.  I really don't think they've properly done the cost v benefit.

Offline Tony

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 12:38:34 PM »
If you are talking about the type that are stuck on windows, this is dangerous as it can obscure the visibility of driver.

I am sure there are better ways to deter drivers than "vandalising" badly parked cars.
What a spoilsport Chris!  However, it's easy to put the stickers on without obstructing vision.  Put them on the drivers' side window.  He/she can drive with the window down and have perfect visibility - might be a bit cold though...  

Can't use the leaflet under the windscreen wiper thick here, it's deemed to be 'littering'...

In the same vein - do any of you have trouble with people parking on your front apron?  In front of the doors?  We do.  At my old shed one bloke pulled up and stopped while his mate went into a neaby shop.  A member went out and asked him politely to move and copped an earful for his trouble.  A quick call to the local nick had a car there very quickly.  Would you believe the idiot told the copper what to do with himself too?  Didn't help, $700 of on the spot ticket later he moved off.  Impeding an emergency vehicle - I wish it was used more often!