Author Topic: how often does emergency lighting need testing and who can carry this  (Read 80748 times)

Offline hrr

I have read conflicting info as to whether it should be checked monthly, 6 monthly and 3 yearly , and other info saying the 6 monthly test is now not needed , which is correct ?

Also can anyone be nominated as the responsible person to do the 3 yearly tests? or do they need specific qualifications ?

Offline nearlythere

how often does emergency lighting need testing and who can carry this
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »
Quote from: hrr
I have read conflicting info as to whether it should be checked monthly, 6 monthly and 3 yearly , and other info saying the 6 monthly test is now not needed , which is correct ?

Also can anyone be nominated as the responsible person to do the 3 yearly tests? or do they need specific qualifications ?
Emergency Lighting Testing & Maintenance

You must ensure that regular checks and periodic servicing and maintenance is carried out whatever the size of the premises and any defects put right as quickly as possible.

You, or a competent person nominated by you, can carry out certain checks and routine maintenance work. A competent person is someone who has the necessary training or experience, access to the requisite tools, equipment and information, and is capable of carrying out a defined task.

Maintenance may need to be carried out by a competent service engineer.
Where contractors are used, third party certification is one method where a reasonable assurance of quality of work and competence can be achieved.

It is recommended that checks and tests are carried out as follows.

Daily Check

All safety lighting units will have a visual indicator, usually a small red lamp, which, when functioning normally, will be illuminated. This indicates that the unit battery is receiving a constant electrical charge from the mains. This indicator lamp should be checked daily for operation.  This simple check can be undertaken by staff who routinely work in a particular area for units in that area.
Any defects should be reported immediately for remedial attention.

Monthly Check

Switch on in the emergency mode by operating the unit’s test facility. If an integrated test facility is not provided then the sub circuit (not the mains supply) for that particular area should be interrupted for a period sufficient for all units to be checked that they are present, clean and functioning correctly.

At the end of the test the supply should be restored and a final check of each unit to ensure that the mains supply indicator lamp is operating normally.

The date and results of the test should be recorded and any defects reported for immediate remedial attention.

Six Monthly Check

Each unit should be tested as for the monthly check except that the period should be 1 hour for a 3 hour unit and 15 minutes for a 1 hour unit.

The date and results of the test should be recorded and any defects reported for immediate remedial attention.

Annual Check

Each unit should be tested as for the monthly check except that the period should be as per the full battery duration of the unit. This can be between 1 and 3 hours.

We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline hrr

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:53:53 PM »
how do you tell what the battery duration of the unit should be ?

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:21:02 PM »
Nearlythere
Didnt the 2004 update to BS5266 eliminate the 6 monthly checks (even the special arrangements for new installations) and just leave a monthly check test and an annual full duration test?
That was my understanding- but I may be wrong.

Offline Ricardo

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »
As far as I am aware the only tests now recommended are the monthly functional test, and the annual discharge test.

Offline hrr

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »
Ricardo, how long is the annual test ? 1hour ?

Offline Ricardo

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 09:11:10 PM »
Ricardo, how long is the annual test ? 1hour ?
hrr, I dont have a copy of the BS at hand at the moment, but as I recall, all luminaires should be tested to their "full rated duration" on an annual basis, therefore a one hour emergency lighting unit would be tested for one hour, and a three hour EL, would recieve a three hour test.

I am sure the BS 5266-8 states that care should be taken  to ensure that full duration tests are carried out at a time that any risks to occupants of a premises is minimised. Ideally the test should be carried out at a time when the premises can be devoid of emergency escape lighting for 24 hours (recharge time of the batteries)

Offline hrr

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:43:18 PM »
Thanks but how do you tell if its rated at 1 hour or 3?

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »
The six monthly test is indeed now defunct except in the eyes of maintenance contractors who can't be bothered to keep abreast of guidance changes, contractors not wishing to loose the income from the test & E/L manufacturers who can't be bothered to update the booklets they include with their fittings.

Fire Protection contractors wishing to screw as much out of customers as possible often do three monthly duration tests when doing fire alarm service visits

Old pre 2004 intervals:Daily visual, Monthly function, Six monthly partial duration, Full duration on third year after install, then annually thereafter

Current intervals:Daily visual, Monthly function, Annual full duration

In theory all the tests could be done 'in house' with an electrician only required if a unit fails, but whilst this is simple for the daily & monthly tests, it's not often time practical for the annual one to be done by site staff.

Despite references in guidance, most fittings now in service are of the 3 hour duration, regardless of whether the application requires this.
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Graeme

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 09:19:42 AM »
you would have to physically look at all the units and look for a sticker that will tell you. Most fittings are 3hr so will need a 3hr duration test once a year.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 06:47:21 PM »
Quote from: AnthonyB
The six monthly test is indeed now defunct except in the eyes of maintenance contractors who can't be bothered to keep abreast of guidance changes, contractors not wishing to loose the income from the test & E/L manufacturers who can't be bothered to update the booklets they include with their fittings.

Fire Protection contractors wishing to screw as much out of customers as possible often do three monthly duration tests when doing fire alarm service visits

Old pre 2004 intervals:Daily visual, Monthly function, Six monthly partial duration, Full duration on third year after install, then annually thereafter

Current intervals:Daily visual, Monthly function, Annual full duration

In theory all the tests could be done 'in house' with an electrician only required if a unit fails, but whilst this is simple for the daily & monthly tests, it's not often time practical for the annual one to be done by site staff.

Despite references in guidance, most fittings now in service are of the 3 hour duration, regardless of whether the application requires this.
AnthonyB, I've noticed from many of your posts that it seems that you don't think much of contractors. Was you bitten by one as a small child?

Offline Wiz

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 06:49:01 PM »
Quite often the part number might give you an idea i.e it might include: 1M or 1NM or 3M or 3NM  (1= 1hour, 3= 3hour, M=maintained, NM= non-maintained)

p.s. to older members - Whatever happened to good old Sustained?

Offline Wiz

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 06:56:46 PM »
........Despite references in guidance, most fittings now in service are of the 3 hour duration, regardless of whether the application requires this.
The only difference for a manufacturer between a 1Hr unit and a 3Hr unit is the standby battery size and cost. The difference in cost these days would only be a £1 or £2. Having just a 3Hr version saves on stocking requirements for manufacturers/distributors/installers and the extra stocking costs for two versions would wipe out the minimal battery cost saving. Obviously it doesn't matter if you install a 3Hr version in a 1Hr application. I've seen approved 3Hr non-maintained units for less than £10 each!

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
Quote from: Wiz
AnthonyB, I've noticed from many of your posts that it seems that you don't think much of contractors. Was you bitten by one as a small child?
LOL! It would seem that way!

Sadly it is because in a substantial numbers of premises we inspect we find contractors giving out of date advice or requiring uneccessary maintenance checks - if it was only once in a blue moon it wouldn't be as bad.

Now if the occupier took a risk based decision to go over & above the recommended norm then thats fine, but that is so rarely the case I've only seen it once.
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 04:11:41 PM »
Quote from: kurnal
Nearlythere
Didnt the 2004 update to BS5266 eliminate the 6 monthly checks (even the special arrangements for new installations) and just leave a monthly check test and an annual full duration test?
That was my understanding- but I may be wrong.
No, you are not wrong, I am just a pratt. Fell for the glossy brochure instead of reading the white paper.
The 6 monthly is kaputt. Anyway, good to see you are reading my posts.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.