Author Topic: how often does emergency lighting need testing and who can carry this  (Read 80744 times)

Offline devon4ever

how often does emergency lighting need testing and who can carry this
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »
Hi guys,

Can I just add that in respect of New Installed Systems, the BS5266 1999 and the updated 2004 made a more robust certification process of the E/L system, I feel it is worth pointing out that any certification of installation paperwork of a new system, (or indeed any add-on to existing) is also kept with the record of testing in the dedicated fire log book for scrutiny etc by any interested parties, (FRS etc), its also worth keeping to confirm the type or standard of E/L system installed in your building,  battery duration of the units etc, its also handy for any manufacturer or installers defects at a later stage, apologies for distorting the original question a tad..
(The Stig is my next door neighbour!)

Offline Wiz

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »
Quote from: AnthonyB
Sadly it is because in a substantial numbers of premises we inspect we find contractors giving out of date advice or requiring uneccessary maintenance checks - if it was only once in a blue moon it wouldn't be as bad.
You are obviously getting current experience of this sort of problem.

In the days that I did this sort of work, we prided ourselves in keeping in touch with current requirements, even if it did mean we could offer the customer a potential reduction in servicing costs.

The strange thing was that most of our customers would actually say 'let's keep it as it is and do more than the minimum. We've budgeted for it anyway and the accountants won't praise us for having money left over at the end of the financial year. And if we have unspent money, they'll only reduce our budget for next year anyway.'

You can probably guess from this that most of our customers were local authorities and it was 'only' council tax payers money that was being spent!

In the end we could only just shrug our shoulders and do what you were told. However, someone looking at the situation from the outside, would rightly say that more than necessary servicing was being carried out. However this was actually not the contractor's fault.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »
If the customer decides to deliberately 'gold plate' their PPM regime that's great & not a problem - as long as it is a correctly informed choice, which is the problem.

Some places do deliberately overdo it to be on the safe side - a hospital I've just FRA's has basic services on extinguishers every quarter even though they know the minimum is only annual as it's important the kit works fully
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
Wiz

Sustained is still going strong, but nowadays it's called "combined non-maintained".  

Each emergency light should have label iside which gives the duration.

On the subject of the daily check, if you read the BS carefully, it only applies to central battery systems.  
Self-contained emergency fittings do not need a daily check.

(BS 5266-8:2004 7.2.2. says "DAILY: Indicators of CENTRAL POWER SUPPLY shall be visually inspected for correct operation")

This is because the central battery is very critical - lose that and you have no emergency lighting at all.  Lose one emergency light and you have lost 1 out of the total.

Chris

Offline Galeon

• Dont ask me on here for advice , come down the Pub
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 12:04:08 PM »
Quote from: ChrisH
Wiz

Sustained is still going strong, but nowadays it's called "combined non-maintained".  

Each emergency light should have label iside which gives the duration.

On the subject of the daily check, if you read the BS carefully, it only applies to central battery systems.  
Self-contained emergency fittings do not need a daily check.

(BS 5266-8:2004 7.2.2. says "DAILY: Indicators of CENTRAL POWER SUPPLY shall be visually inspected for correct operation")

This is because the central battery is very critical - lose that and you have no emergency lighting at all.  Lose one emergency light and you have lost 1 out of the total.

Chris
Most of our central battery units , were linked to the fire alarm , to monitor fault conditions
Its time to make a counter attack !

Offline Daven

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 09:23:50 AM »
Can someone just clarify the situation for me.
I am not a qualified electrician but have been a fire alarm engineer for many years and have always tested emergency lighting.
I now understand that I only need do the monthly check and a full duration anual test.
Am I qualified under BS, being, I suppose, a competant person to sign a completion certificate for the full duration test.
I am under the impression that this can only be done by a qualified electrician, or am I mistaken and this only refers to a new install.

Dave

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
Quote from: Daven
Can someone just clarify the situation for me.
I am not a qualified electrician but have been a fire alarm engineer for many years and have always tested emergency lighting.
I now understand that I only need do the monthly check and a full duration anual test.
Am I qualified under BS, being, I suppose, a competant person to sign a completion certificate for the full duration test.
I am under the impression that this can only be done by a qualified electrician, or am I mistaken and this only refers to a new install.

Dave
The monthy and annual user tests can be done by an appropriately trained competant person as it does not involve going into the bowls of the units. This is different to inspecting and repairing unit components which should be undertaken by a person with the appropriate level of competancy and this to me means an electrician. With the cost of lighting units nowadays it is probably more cost effective to replace the unit than try and identify a problem.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline zimmy

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 09:05:10 PM »
Quote from: nearlythere
Daily Check

All safety lighting units will have a visual indicator, usually a small red lamp, which, when functioning normally, will be illuminated. This indicates that the unit battery is receiving a constant electrical charge from the mains. This indicator lamp should be checked daily for operation.  This simple check can be undertaken by staff who routinely work in a particular area for units in that area.
Any defects should be reported immediately for remedial attention.
Lets have a bit of realism here, a daily check of units may well be included as a disclaimer by manufacturers, installers or compilers of standards but is not reasonably practicable and would not stand up in court as such. Did you check your units in your workplace today?.....No.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 11:38:20 PM »
Quote from: zimmy
Daily Check

All safety lighting units will have a visual indicator, usually a small red lamp, which, when functioning normally, will be illuminated. This indicates that the unit battery is receiving a constant electrical charge from the mains. This indicator lamp should be checked daily for operation.  This simple check can be undertaken by staff who routinely work in a particular area for units in that area.
Lets have a bit of realism here, a daily check of units may well be included as a disclaimer by manufacturers, installers or compilers of standards but is not reasonably practicable and would not stand up in court as such. Did you check your units in your workplace today?.....No.
A disclaim of what zimmy?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Daven

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »
Problem is the you can't always see the led on some units, depending on how and where they are installed.

These regululations always apply ok to a small unit of a few luminairs but get very complicated in a large manufacturing building where the numbers can run into the hundreds, a daily check could take all day!

Dave

Offline Tadees

Re: how often does emergency lighting need testing and who can carry this
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »
Does anybody have the specific extract from the latest version of Part 8 which states that the 6 monthly test has been dispensed with?
Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a brighter day.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 01:56:19 PM »
Not sure it's says its despensed with, it just isn't there. But happy to confirm that when inspecting I don't expect to see 6 monthly.

Biggest problem is that some companies aren't telling building operators and still coming out 6 monthly and charging for unnecessary work.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 06:17:15 PM »
The six monthly test was removed in the 2004  edition of the standard and prior to that it applied only to new fittings in the frist couple of years to ensure batteries did not develop memory effect. This has become less of an issue with more modern battert tecnology, NICAD batteries are less common now.

If you dont want to buy the standard you can look it up free of charge in your local library, alternatively ICEL do a free concise guide available for download. Many companies have made a killing by over testing emergency lighting for years, though to be fair some do present their reasons for doing so and point out it exceeds the BS recommendations.

http://www.icel.co.uk/files/docs/icel-1006-emergency-lighting-design-guide-hyp-10-1-2013-pdf-1360669544.pdf

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Thanks for the above link Kurnal, one question I have relates to the positioning and type of test facility. I recently was asked about testing frequencies and during the chat noticed the test switches were all normal light switches and all mounted next to the lamp above doors.
They have to stand on steps on the other side of the door opening and hope no one comes through as some "couldn't be wedged".

Ignoring the obvious crazy safety issues, my question is what are the requirements for test key switches (i.e. switch type) and their location - is there a standard that must be adhered to? I always assumed they must be accessible and correct test key switch type.
I advised her there were issues and to get them seen to asap as judging from what was in view there were potentially wiring issues to be dealt with too but I'd like to know how I can back up my opinion.

Forgive my ignorance but it's not my field!
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...

Offline K Lard

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »
Daily Check

No wonder people get confused - on the DAILY maintenance checklist in the guides one of the questions is: 'Is emergency lighting and sign lighting working correctly?'!!!!!!!!!!!! (See page 114 of Offices/Shops guide) :-X