Author Topic: Fire Door Hinges  (Read 20257 times)

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Re: Fire Door Hinges
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »
yes, I just gave the BBA cert search a go and got nothing - I'm smelling a rat here

Offline Messy

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 07:10:51 PM »
I have just contacted the Modern Door Closer company via their website and encouraged them to enter this debate.

It is only fair we hear their side of the argument rather than guessing

I will copy any response here

Offline Fishy

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »
My understanding is if they're offered to be used on fire-resisting doorsets, then they must be CE marked under the CPR.  So, if they aren't legitimately CE marked they shouldn't be placed onto the market for that purpose anywhere in Europe.  Looking at the website you might infer that they could be used on such doorsets (especially given the colours and design used), and it does say "fire tested" but I couldn't find a specific reference to suitability for use on fire doors anywhere??  Very limited market if they couldn't be used on F/R doorsets!?

Anyway - variation on a spring hinge so might struggle to close a door over a latch, especially if it's knackered and/or the door hasn't been opened fully?  Perhaps they'll turn up at FIREX & let us have a play!

Offline Messy

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 07:32:19 PM »
I have just contacted the Modern Door Closer company via their website and encouraged them to enter this debate.

It is only fair we hear their side of the argument rather than guessing

I will copy any response here

I received an e-mail saying that the representative of the Company has been unsuccessful in registering onto this site, but he will keep trying

Offline Auntie LIn

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »
Anyone asked the Guild of Architectural Ironmongers about this?

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »
messy ask him to email me and I will register him

Offline Messy

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 10:06:03 PM »
Will do Kurnal - Thanks

Offline Geoff

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 01:33:54 PM »
You seem to be doing better than I have done in getting answers from them Messy.

I never received a reply to my request for references though I did get a copy of a fire test conducted by Chiltern.

Offline Messy

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 06:13:42 PM »
It's a little odd.

I explained to the guy at Modern Doors that the site is used by fire safety professionals and a thread was live debating his product. I added that I thought it right he should give his/his company's view on the debate

Other than saying he couldn't log on, he has remained pretty silent, despite me providing Kurnal's contact details to further assist him participating.

I am not sure what (if anything) can be read into this company's silence, but its a very odd commercial decision not to try and convince us of its merits!