Author Topic: Servicing/Maintenance Requirements for Grade C LD3 Detection Systems in Flats  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Geoff

Morning,

I'd like to pose a quick question.

In our Retirment and Extra Care Housing there have recently been a number of upgrades to the warden call systems and the smoke and heat detection that is linked to them. Our Planned Works arm have decided to go with 5 year warranties with a clean of the detector heads at the 3 year point and a full service at the end of the warranty.

I'm a little uncomfortable with that as we service (including a clean of the detector heads) all existing systems on an annual basis, with a quarterly test of the detector heads by Estate Managers.

Would you consider that a clean of the detector heads after 3 years and service after 5 years is a suitable and sufficient maintenance regime? The quarterly tests by the Estate Managers would continue as normal.

Geoff

Offline Tom Sutton

If you wish to conform to BS 5839 part 6, it states in relations to grade C systems,

"All systems, other than Grade A systems, should be tested at least every week by operating all fire alarm devices in the dwelling, Grade B and Grade C systems should be serviced every six months in accordance with the supplier?s instructions. Where experience shows that undue deposits of dust or dirt are likely to accumulate, so affecting the performance of the system before detectors are cleaned or changed at the recommended service, more frequent cleaning or changing of detectors should be carried out."

To me this would this reads as the system should be tested every week and serviced every six months. The heads should be cleaned at the six month service and more frequent if necessary. Therefore what has been suggested does not conform to BS 5839 part 6.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:23:34 PM by Tom Sutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Geoff

Would that also apply to Grade D systems?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:50:33 AM by Geoff »

Offline Tom Sutton

On servicing it states "Smoke alarms in Grade D, Grade E and Grade F systems should be cleaned periodically in accordance with the manufacturer?s instructions." the rest applies.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Geoff

Many thanks Tom I appreciate, though I feel a bit of numpty for having to ask.  :-\

That's what happens when part of the computer system goes kaput!

Offline Tom Sutton

What has the computer system got to do with the fire alarm or do you mean the Control and Indicating Equipment? Before the FA system goes kaput you will receive fault signals and the BS says "You should check that you have a current contract for servicing and for call-out of an engineer if your system is faulty."

Offline Geoff

Sorry Tom that was an off hand comment about my database being down so I caouldn't access any of my reference documents. That's why I asked the question in the first place.

I sometimes forget that I should't type out my thougts on these forums, could get me into trouble.

We do have suitable maintenance contracts and regular management checks on the fire safety systems in place.