Author Topic: Illuminated or luminous signs  (Read 26345 times)

Offline Mike Buckley

Re: Illuminated or luminous signs
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »
I don't think that it is an issue that can be 'forced'. The problem with the BCO is that they only see the builiding in the construction stage and once the building is signed off they have little power. The real issue is education, as both the RP and the sign suppliers have little idea of the various standards of the signs or the recommendations on their installation. I am certain if you walked in to a retailer who sells signs and asked the person behind the counter for a British Standard Fire Exit sign they would have not idea which sign to give you.

I agree its a real mess and needs to be sorted out but I can't see the people who created the mess doing anything about it.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »
Mike I mean forced, because, the premises has to be inspected on occupation to sign off the premises and issue a completion certificate would this not be an ideal time to ensure the signage was satisfactory.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:41:53 PM by Tom Sutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 03:54:01 PM »
Not necessarily, I would expect a new build to have all the same standard of signage basically because the builder would buy in bulk from one supplier thereofre I would expect them all to be of the same standard. The issue tends to come to a head if modifications are carried out which don't require planning permission, signs are replaced because they are old, broken etc. or a fire risk assessment says that more signs are needed or escape routes are changed.

The other issue comes with the architects, designers etc. I have been into a place which had been recently refurbished with exit signs which had pink lettering on a white background. The designer was worried that green signs would conflict with his vision of the interior decor! Yes I did put him right but he was not a happy chappy.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »
I get a number of question on this subject, had a question the other week on a new build (University) and I shop at a Lidl, which had total rip out and refurbish, both used 5549/7010 standard signs but all illuminated exit boxes are Euro type signs, I just feel BCO's should be doing something about it. :'(
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 10:57:33 PM »
Thank you one and all. I am quite pleased with the discussion I sparked. Very interesting. As they used to say on Rowan and Martin.  :D
Sam

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »
Are we saying that the people these signs are to convey information to will be confused by two different signs along an escape route?  Are we saying that? A green sign, be it a running man or "Exit", will be confusing?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 02:01:04 PM »
No I think the argument is more about drawing a line in the sand. We have two main standards and the aim is to just use one standard in an individual premise.

The idea that the design of the sign doesn't matter as long as it gives the information tends can lead to choas. How effective would a fire exit sign be in a Restaurant if for example it is in Chinese (its a Chinese restaurant and it fits in with the ethnicity of the place) is blue (fits in with the decor) and has no pictogram (looks ugly)? It still gives the information.

The easiest solution is to stick with the two standards and try to get uniformity throughout the premise. Just like the paperless office we will never suceed bit it is goal to aim for. At the same time keep a sense of perpestive no-one is going to close the place because they have the wrong sign.

Offline Messy

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 11:11:37 PM »
I saw a Euro sign in Ireland last week in a baker/cafe. The running man had been professionally replaced by a stick-man baker carrying a tray of loaves running towards the door.  :) It was amusing and in no way detracted from what the sign meant - in fact, it made the sign more noticeable to diners.

I have also seen the Euro sign altered to show a black letter 'A', 'B' 'C' and so on within the white door symbol to indicate different escape staircases or routes. This allowed the Resp Person to control the evacuation by issuing voice alarm messages where route has become busy or blocked.

This is why I favour a less prescriptive approach and more risk assessed approach to escape signage

Offline Owain

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 07:42:52 PM »

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
Reminiscent of Benny Hill!

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »

That's just the sort of signage we need.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »
I would have thought someone putting them up is likely to find themselves in an equal opportunities civil rights court. And quite rightly too. This type of humour is not acceptable in the 21st Century.
Sam

Offline kurnal

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »
personally I can see nothing offensive whatsoever?

Offline Owain

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 09:05:17 PM »
personally I can see nothing offensive whatsoever?

There appear to be no men, people with visible disabilities, or women in burkas, depicted in the pictogram.

Offline kurnal

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »
Does that make something offensive or illegal?