Author Topic: Illuminated or luminous signs  (Read 26342 times)

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
Re: Illuminated or luminous signs
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 10:15:28 PM »
It depicts women panicking in an emergency situation following a running man. By implication only the man is able to deal effectively with the situation by remaining calm and making appropriate use of the escape route. The women are depicted as emotional and not effective..... Comments regarding Benny Hill make it even worse. That was then. This is now. IMHO.
Sam

Offline Messy

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 05:22:14 AM »
Whoa there!

Its simply an advert for Axe deodorant which is the French version of Lynx over here. In a similar ad campaign, women find men irresistible if men wear the stuff and I think it's quite amusing and in no way degrading
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_%28brand%29

It's simply humour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
Like all these things its is a matter of perception. This changes with time and society's views. :-\ It used to be acceptable to wolf whistle at women at work. It no longer is...... and quite rightly.

My point is that such a variant of an exit sign placed in a UK workplace may well elicit the response I gave. The law would be on the side of the complainant. If someone is offended, it is offensive.
Sam

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 08:12:54 AM »
Thanks Sam , I guess there may be many wishing to challenge the equalities and respect aspects of Sams  point, myself included but would ask that such discussions are via a non technical thread in the meeting room at the base of the forum page. we should seek to preserve the purpose and  good factual fire safety guidance on firenet without contaminating it with subjective political discourse.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 09:04:46 PM »
For the love of....
I see four people running after another person who seems to be running into a wall. Perhaps they are running after the person to prevent tha injuring themselves? Perhaps the front person stole something? Perhaps they are in a race?
I dont see a man or woman. I see 5 people, some who are wearing clothes, if they want to, running forwards or backwards.
Gees where are we?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 09:35:04 PM »
we should seek to preserve the purpose and  good factual fire safety guidance on firenet without contaminating it with subjective political discourse.

Agreed.  :-X
Sam