Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 14370 times)

Offline Tom W

What would you do?
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:48:25 AM »
Im sure a lot of you consultants travel quite a lot, thus stay in quite a few hotels.

Im sure you cannot (as I cannot) turn off your risk assessor part of your brain.

What do you do if the accomodation you have booked is lacking in suitable fire precautions? How far do you go?

Any stories to tell?

I once stayed in a hotel where the tv had a nail put through the on switch as this was the only way to keep the tv on, the PAT sticker said 1998. Needless to say I didn't stay there that night and I informed the hotel manager.

Offline Clevelandfire 3

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:00:26 PM »
Id point out any issues i found, advise them to sort them out, hand them my card and leave! If it was really dodgy I wouldnt stay overnight

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:52:47 AM »
Personally, I never even give it a thought. I go to the bar, have a few Taliskers, get room service and go to sleep.  I take the view that I am more likely to die driving to the hotel than die from a fire therein.  Is this how you spent your honeymoon, Thomas?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Meerkat

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:01:42 AM »
I unwedge any wedged open fire doors and take the wooden wedges back to my room to stop them doing it again :P  I have certainly reported dodgy electrics in the room to the hotel management.

I might add that this is usually not in the UK!
There's nothing simple about a Meerkat...

Offline Mr. P

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »
If they are nice wooden wedges, I keep them for kindling!

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »
I always go and find the manager, tell him what he is doing wrong and why (in my usual commonsense and pragmatic manner ;))  offer him free advice and training and then give him my card.

If they dont come back to me I do them a lousy review with whatever agency they use and never go back.

Picked up a number of jobs this way too!

Offline jokar

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
Whilst doing my NEBOSH CDM thing, the hotel being used had Dorgard devices on the staircase doors and on carpet.  Needless to say when the FA went off and we all evacuated the doors stayed firmly in the open position.  I had acaht with the manager and he said it was okay as the FRS had been around the week before and signed them off.  Had a chat with them as well and they went back.  Funnily enough whislt walking around the building with the trainer we saw and he took photographs of a painetr hanging off of the balcony painting the window.  Trainer went mad and had a little chat with the manager.

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:23:18 PM »
somehow toddy i doubt youd just sail into the bar without regard to the fire precautions in the hotel. talisker aside it wouldnt be a very good advert for your company if you sailed into a dodgy unsafe hotel and said nowt. then again suppose you might be criticised for trying to tout for business if you said something. you cant win. my missus goes mad at how i tut at some of the hotel we stay in and keeps telling me to forget about work when im not at work but i just couldnt rest in an unsafe hotel.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »
I like the sound of Mrs Clevey.  She seems very sensible.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Mr. P

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:16:36 AM »
Clevey, are you supposed to take your wife to hotels then?

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:08:03 PM »

She can be but dont tell her i said that

ocassionally you have to else they get upset

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 06:32:26 PM »

She can be but dont tell her i said that

ocassionally you have to else they get upset
How long do you normally leave her there for C? ;)
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »
I had the pleasure of enjoying Leith St Edinburgh at 5am this morning standing outside a large hotel. We were kept outside for about half an hour whilst staff and fire brigade repeatedly tried to silence  and reset the apollo protocol  addressable alarm. Finally they gave up and let us all in with the system left in fire mode. I had expected trouble on booking in as I remarked to Mrs K as the silence and reset buttons on the panel were all but rubbed away.

Noted doors wedged/ defective  on 4 of the 5 floors we had to descend and the main staircase was lit solely by maintained  escape lighting as not one of the primary light fittings had a bulb in. Perhaps work in progress?

Will give my card to the manager after breakfast!;)

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
I had the pleasure of enjoying Leith St Edinburgh at 5am this morning standing outside a large hotel. We were kept outside for about half an hour whilst staff and fire brigade repeatedly tried to silence  and reset the apollo protocol  addressable alarm. Finally they gave up and let us all in with the system left in fire mode. I had expected trouble on booking in as I remarked to Mrs K as the silence and reset buttons on the panel were all but rubbed away.

Noted doors wedged/ defective  on 4 of the 5 floors we had to descend and the main staircase was lit solely by maintained  escape lighting as not one of the primary light fittings had a bulb in. Perhaps work in progress?

Will give my card to the manager after breakfast!;)
Sounds like a nice posh joint K.
Is that the best you can do for Mrs K, the woman who has had to put up with you for so long?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Davo

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 09:30:02 AM »
Prof

You really will have to put up your prices, Mrs K deserves better ;D
Try looking for one with some stars next time, I'm told they are better ;D ;D

davo