Author Topic: Access to expert advice  (Read 8576 times)

Offline JWatts

Access to expert advice
« on: November 11, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
Hi,

Not sure if this is posted in the right place so feel free to move if somewhere else more appropriate :)

We have developed our in-house competence regarding the carrying out of FRA's (sleeping accommodation), however want to buy in to the services of someone for some of the quirkier / more complicated buildings we have, probably someone with an engineering solutions background.

Where's a good place to start looking for someone or is there a recognised place to advertise? Also, any tips on assessing their competency?  I know a lot of people go on word on mouth and through people they know, which is great if you know of anyone  ???

Thanks in advance!

Offline nearlythere

Re: Access to expert advice
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:25:01 PM »
Hi,

Not sure if this is posted in the right place so feel free to move if somewhere else more appropriate :)

We have developed our in-house competence regarding the carrying out of FRA's (sleeping accommodation), however want to buy in to the services of someone for some of the quirkier / more complicated buildings we have, probably someone with an engineering solutions background.

Where's a good place to start looking for someone or is there a recognised place to advertise? Also, any tips on assessing their competency?  I know a lot of people go on word on mouth and through people they know, which is great if you know of anyone  ???

Thanks in advance!
Hi JWatts
Where are you?
Who are you?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline JWatts

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »
Hampshire

Offline stevew

• http://firesureuk.co.ok
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »

Hi JW

I am based in your area and would be pleased to help.

Please feel free to email me at firesureuk@yahoo.co.uk   

Steve

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
There is only one UKAS accredited registration scheme for fire risk assessors at present. This is the FRACS Warrington scheme but it has few members as it is just getting off the ground. But this is for fire risk assessments in respect of "General Fire Precautions" and not in respect of fire engineering which you mention.
There are other registers such as those operated by the IFE, the IFSM and IFPO and all make some measure of competence but you need to research and make up your own mind over the relative benefits of these schemes. Each organisation takes a different approach to how the competence of the assessor is determined. To some extent they rely on peer review, some to a greater extent than others. There are varying standards and approaches and if you are going to rely soley on membership of a register as a measure of competence then Caveat Emptor.

Big is not always beautiful. Engineers with degrees in fire engineering sometimes have little experience of the real world.

Members of the FIA do sign up to a code of conduct but it is currently pretty weak as it is new and being introduced in an effort to impove standards in the industry. It therefore is a first step in the right direction but has naturally had to start out with  with pretty wide goalposts.

I know many competent fire risk assessors, a number of  whom are members of this forum. Reading through previous postings on this forum may also may give you some measure by which you may make a judgement.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:22:10 AM by kurnal »

Offline JWatts

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:01 AM »
Thanks for your comments.

Fire engineering solutions may be the wrong phrase.  Where we are developing our in-house competence and still need to be able to lean on someone with more experience for the more difficult situations.  We want someone to work with us and help provide solutions, not just carry out the risk assessment.

I will take a look at the UKAS scheme and your details Steve.
Thanks

Offline mr angry

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »
JW your local fire authority fire safety officer will be happy to offer advice.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:54:35 PM »
As kurnal says you could read through postings..........and avoid those with snap answers that are shot from the hip without proper consideration of the facts.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline kurnal

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
As kurnal says you could read through postings..........and avoid those with snap answers that are shot from the hip without proper consideration of the facts.

You shooting from the hip this time Colin? If JW doesn't take account of the incorrect and illconsidered posts then he/she wont get a full picture and could appoint a total buffoon!

Or did you mean to say avoid those who offer snap answers?

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
avoid those who offer snap answers?

Yes!

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:17:50 AM »
Eh!
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »
NT I think there are two different examples of shooting from the hip common on this forum.

We all post here for our own reasons, for some entirely for altruistic reasons, for some its social and for some it is commercial.  For me its a genuine mix of all three.

Some of us on the forum are rather quick on the draw to answer queries from posters, often the advice is intended to be helpful, sometimes its great advice and sometimes if you read individual postings the advice is not good or complete. Generally there are sufficient contributors to maintain a reasonable balance of good advice. For me I assume that anyone who takes free advice from a public forum do so in full knowledge of its limitations. If you ask someone in a pub for advice you take the answer with a pinch of salt.

"Hey Bill, what did you say you gave that dog of yours when it took sick the other day?"
"Tupentine".
" Bill, I gave mine some turpentine today and it died"
"So did mine"

Then there are others who choose to use the forum in a different way, whose policy it is to rarely offer direct advice to posters but are always quick in their criticism of others. Thats the other kind of shooting from the hip.
To me all are welcome and its all part of life's rich tapestry. If I put my head over the parapet I expect someone to have a snipe. Thanks to all for your valued contributions to the forum. It all prompts good debate.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:56:07 AM by kurnal »

Offline buster1

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »
Hi JW

Carreid out and advised on many diferent archetypes of buildings, i am IFSM registered

Give me a call 07917061646 if i can be of assitance or to meet up for an informal chat

MC