Author Topic: Advice Please.  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Bill J

• http://www.Bill-J.co.uk
Advice Please.
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
Hi gents,

Hoping to pick your brains.

In an office block comprising of basement, ground and 2 upper floors, single staircase, multi let to differing tenants.

The Stairs are served on each level by a single 10 M long Corridor, with 4 offices (Single Rooms) off each corridor.

Bit of a rough area, and break ins happen every 6 months or so.

One Tenant, Ground floor, has own entrance as well as door to common corridor. Their Corridor door was vandalised from the corridor side, and they lost all their Equipment.

They have replaced the door with a 1 Hour Fire door, and have installed a multi locking system, which comprises a metal plate in the frame with 4 latch bolts. This has removed the Cold Smoke Seals that were in the frame.

So the door may be upgraded but the frame has not really benefitted.

There is detection throughout, in each office and corridor.

Thanks for bearing with me! I do have a question!

Should the Metal Security plate be removed, so that seals can be replaced, or would the detection on either side provide sufficient early warning?

Is there such a thing as a Door length Metal Plate which includes the strip?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Offline nearlythere

Re: Advice Please.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »
They have replaced the door with a 1 Hour Fire door, and have installed a multi locking system, which comprises a metal plate in the frame with 4 latch bolts. This has removed the Cold Smoke Seals that were in the frame.

Bill. Can you not put a smoke seal in the door?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Bill J

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

That also has a metal strip with Holes for the latches on the door. I think that side would actually be worse, as the holes for the latches are larger.

Its at times like this I wish I gad taken a piccy.

Bill

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »
Does the metal strip run the full height of  the door?

Offline Bill J

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
All apart from the top and bottom 150mm (6"), same as the frame!

The old strip is still in place top and bottom, which actually makes it more obvious that its not there, where it should be!

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
All apart from the top and bottom 150mm (6"), same as the frame!

The old strip is still in place top and bottom, which actually makes it more obvious that its not there, where it should be!

And does the door fit neatly into the frame with minimal gaps between both?
This is a door seperating the ground floor corridor from the stairway - yes?
Are the doors enclosing the said corridor 30 min frsc with intumescent and smoke seals?

Offline Bill J

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
The Door is between the corridor and the tenants own space, the door does fit well into the framework.

The Corridor leads to the Ground Floor Entrance Lobby, which houses the stairs and provides the Main Entrance/Exit, the door from the corridor to Lobby is all intact with seals, strip, closer, and is solid with a glazed VP full length.

However, One tenant would need to pass (not go through) the door to gain access to the Exit.

Thanks again

Bill

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 02:09:26 PM »
The Door is between the corridor and the tenants own space, the door does fit well into the framework.

The Corridor leads to the Ground Floor Entrance Lobby, which houses the stairs and provides the Main Entrance/Exit, the door from the corridor to Lobby is all intact with seals, strip, closer, and is solid with a glazed VP full length.

However, One tenant would need to pass (not go through) the door to gain access to the Exit.

Thanks again

Bill

IMHO Bill if the door fits well, there is AFD in the corridor and rooms opening onto it and the door separating the corridor and stairway enclosure is as you say I would accept the said door as being adequate under the circumstances. I would recommend, to keep the EA happy, that the door would be upgraded to current standards should it ever be replaced. That could be between 1 & 100 years and god knows what a fire door would have to comply with in the latter part of that period.

Offline Bill J

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:54:33 AM »
That does sound like the most appropriate way forward. (I am more of an alarm guy than I ever will be a passive protector).

Thanks for your help.

Bill