Author Topic: Evacuation of Non Ambulant Patients in Hospitals & Care Homes  (Read 33492 times)

Offline kevhowitt

Evacuation of Non Ambulant Patients in Hospitals & Care Homes
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
The recent fire the the Royal Marsden raises some important points for consideration. Many of the patients were able to walk off the Wards, very few had to be assisted and the fire was on top floors and not a lower level which no doubt assisted the rescue.

After a risk assesment was carried out on a Ward in the Hospital where I work, it became obvious that several Patients would be very difficult to remove to a safe area, especially if the situation called for a vertical evacuation, for example, the lifts being inoperative due to a fire. I was asked to design equipment that allows for the safe removal of immobile patients either off the Ward and/or down the fire stairs.

The unit sits under the mattress on the bed and will articulate with the bed when in daily use. When opererated, it becomes a rigid stretcher to faciliitate the removal of all immobile patients that can be manually lifted.

We have produced a pre-production model to go into trial in the next week or so (Jan 2008) and are looking to put on the market as soon as we have concluded our trials.

If any need more info, please get in touch.

Kev.

Offline AFD

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:25:35 PM »
Does this include bariatric patients ?

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
Glad to hear your system is developing Kev.

I am sure you will soon find success for your product. It sounds like a practical solution for a major problem.

p.s. My son has a restriction in neck movement, but this could be down to x box or mobile cramp rather than the result of the broken neck!

Good Luck

Phil  

;)
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...