Author Topic: Batteries calculation ?  (Read 93278 times)

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »
Also what ever version of batteries calculation formula either original or the simplified one while D=2: my understanding of 1.25 coefficient is NOT the aging factor, it is rather a farther safety tolerance, say if the calculation gives 6Ah are required you always prefer to order a bit further reserve (just in case), it is the same fashion of thought every where in business and engineering... if you need 1000 bricks to build your home you have to order 1100 say 1/10 more bricks...etc

But regarding the batteries aging issue, I would see it from a different angle, I think it's among the main issues why the batteries calculation have to be carried out in each service visit, not only in case the customer has fitted extra devices, rather it's the batteries internal impedance that gets up day to day, even the load has not been changed at all for years, the internal impedance of the batteries can be seen in serial with the load to give an equivalent load value even bigger and this is already taken into account while calculating the batteries capacity with the actual practical measurements of I1 and I2. to see if C is still above 70% of the prescribed 'capacity on the batteries

Graeme

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »
Benz

The BFPSA or FIA formula is

C min= I1xT1+I2x1.25

Offline Benzerari

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
Benz

C min= I1xT1+I2x1.25
No it is: Cmin = [ I1 T1 + I2] 1.25 while D =2 and T2 = 0.5h their product will be simplified to give this formula
you have forgoten this [  ....   ] which makes a difference

Offline Allen Higginson

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 08:03:06 PM »
BODMAS Graeme!!!

Offline jokar

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 08:06:48 PM »
Ahh, the great mathemeticians remember there school days, and so far back.  Blackboard rubbers, sorry, whiteboard erasers being thrown around for not remembering the brackets.  Only hurt for a while, well until the next time anyway.

Offline Benzerari

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 08:07:57 PM »
I am still not sure how BS calculated the de-rating factor to be either 1 or 1.75 also how the BFPSA calculated the de-factor to be = 2?

Graeme

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
Quote from: Benzerari
Benz

C min= I1xT1+I2x1.25
No it is: Cmin = [ I1 T1 + I2] 1.25 while D =2 and T2 = 0.5h their product will be simplified to give this formula
you have forgoten this [  ....   ] which makes a difference
well i will ask for my money back for their training course that told to do it that way....

Graeme

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 08:19:06 PM »
although annex D of BS5839-1 2202 assumes a D factor of 1.75 the FIA/BFPSA recommends using a D factor of 2,which,whilst making very little difference to the final figure,will greatly simplifybattery calculation because a D of 2 multiplied by a T2(alarm time) of 0.5
will equal 1 and can therefore be ignored

furthermore by leaving the multiplication by 1.25(the ageing factor) until last will simplify the actual workings even more....

Offline Allen Higginson

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »
although annex D of BS5839-1 2202 assumes a D factor of 1.75 the FIA/BFPSA recommends using a D factor of 2,which,whilst making very little difference to the final figure,will greatly simplifybattery calculation because a D of 2 multiplied by a T2(alarm time) of 0.5
will equal 1 and can therefore be ignored

furthermore by leaving the multiplication by 1.25(the ageing factor) until last will simplify the actual workings even more....
Hows the brick wall standing up??

Offline Wiz

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
Guys,

The 1.25 figure in the formula is the one that will give you the 75% of the capacity which we are all calling the 'ageing factor' for want of a better name! Multiply, for example, the figure 8 by 1.25 and you get an answer of 10. i.e instead of installing an 8AH battery install instead a 10AH battery to compensate for the 'ageing factor'

The de-rating figure, variously mentioned previously, as 1, 1.75 and 2 is a figure which is meant to adjust for a feature of all batteries where the actual capacity achievable from a battery is dependant on the discharge rate. I have previously mentioned this, but just to summarise; a 10AH cpapcity battery should, in theory, provide 1A for 10 hours or 10A for 1 hour. In fact, batteries normally only give their rated capacity at a discharge rate of 1/20th of their rated capacity. i.e. For a 40AH battery it will give 2A for 20 hours.

Furthermore, if your discharge rate is less than 1/20th, the battery is likely to last longer than the supposed capacity i.e for a 40AH battery it will give 1A for more than 40 Hours. Conversely if the discharge rate is more than 1/20th, the battery is likely to last shorter than the supposed capacity i.e for a 40AH battery it will give 4AH for rather less than 10 hours.

Benz, This 1/20th figure is that which my previous posts mentions and it is not what your answers to me are suggesting. It has nothing to do with expecting the alarm to go off 20 times etc.!

Benz, in answer to your question; the BS de-rating figures of 1 and 1.75 are based on typical batteries. De-rating 1 can be used where the alarm load current is low and thereby taking a small current from the battery (less than 1/20th) so the battery is likely to meet it's rated nominal capacity. Where the alarm load current is high and taking a larger current (more than 1/20th) the battery is unlikely to meet it's rated nominal capacity and the de-rating figure of 1.75 will compensate for this.

Graeme, you make the comment that using a de-rating figure of 2 instead of, say, 1,75, will make very little difference. I absolutely agree. However there is a difference. And this difference will be even larger if the de-rating figure should only have been 1.

I understand the BFPSA suggestion of always using a de-rating figure of 2 because this simplifies the formula. It allows the de-rating figure to cancel out the 50% division of the alarm load. Therefore the simplified formula doesn't even mention the de-rating figure (of 2) they have used. However, all of you who have taken the course mention a de-rating figure of 2 and the simplified formula, when the formula has already taken a de-rating figure of 2 into account. It seems to me that this aspect of the simplified formula has not been properly explained on the course.

However, I have strong opinions on the right of the BFPSA to suggest a formula, that whilst easier to use, does not tie in with the recommendations of BS. In fact, I have strong opinions on anyone who varies the recommendations of BS without making sure the impact of doing so is fully understood and explained.

In the case of this battery capacity calculation, I have already admitted that a de-rating figure of 2 against 1.75 is a small difference. But what happens when you calculate  using the BFPSA simplified formula that a standby battery will only last 23 hours and fail a system on commissioning, when the system designer has designed used the correct de-rating figure for that battery/system of say, 1, and this provides a battery standby duty of 25 hours?  What if the discussion got legal, what would the judge accept? The BS recommendation or the BFPSA's version?

Is it right to follow the BFPSA training if it varies from BS unless the BFPSA highlights those things they have unilaterally changed and explained the potential ramifications?

Offline Benzerari

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »
Quote from: Wiz
Guys,

Benz, This 1/20th figure is that which my previous posts mentions and it is not what your answers to me are suggesting. It has nothing to do with expecting the alarm to go off 20 times etc.!
And

It is 1 when the system alarm load is equal or less than 1/20th of the battery's stated capacity. It is 1.75 when the battery's alarm load is greater than 1/20th of the battery's staed capacity.
Let's formulate what you have stated previously:

If: [(I2 * T2) / C] <= 1/20. This means the batteries are capable of setting alarm off 20 times for half hour each time, or 10 hours continually (while mains disconnected). Therefore:  D would equate to 1.

Since:  (I2 * T2) is batteries capacity required to set alarm off for 0.5h, and
                    'C' is the full prescribed battery capacity

If: (I2 * T2) / C > 1/20. This means the batteries are NOT capable of setting alarm off 20 times for half hour each time, or 10 hours continually (while mains disconnected). And therefore to compensate that you said BS sets D = 1.75, but BFPSA sets it to 2. In my opinion NOT to simplify the calculation but for further safety measures

This is my interpretation to what you have stated in your post.

Offline Benzerari

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »
Guys,

Is it right to follow the BFPSA training if it varies from BS unless the BFPSA highlights those things they have unilaterally changed and explained the potential ramifications?
In my understanding de-rating = 2 of BFPSA is not against in any way the de-rating = 1.75 of BS, with D = 2 it gives the end result a bit more higher:

C1 = C of BFPSA when using D=2
C2 = C of BS when using D=1.75

C1  / C2     = {[I1T1 + I2T2D1] 1.25} /  {[I1T1 + I2T2D2] 1.25}
                             = [I1T1 + I2*0.5 *2] /  [I1T1 + I2*0.5*1.75]
                             = [I1T1 + I2*1h] /  [I1T1 + I2*0.855]

If       I1 = 20mA,
and    I2 = 200mA
Then:                  

C1  / C2     = [20mA*48h + 200mAh] / [20mA*48h + 200*0.855]
                          =     [96mAh + 200mAh] / [96mAh + 200mAh]
                          =    296mAh / 171mAh
                          = 1.73

Therefore: C1  = 1.73 * C2, to me this is considerable difference but to the positive side, D = 2 is just more safer de-rating factor, but it does not mean it's wrong or against BS

Offline Benzerari

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 10:47:14 PM »
To my understanding I would use D accordingly:

I would use (D = 2) if the system is nearly fully loaded and to be over loaded soon with the time, by means say nearly 120 devices per each loop and nearly the full number of conventional sounders permitted in the sounder circuit...etc

And I would use D = 1.75, if the fire alarm systems is using 50% of the load permitted, by means say 60 devices in each loop and half the number permitted of output conventional devices in the sounder circuits...etc

And I may use D = 1, if the system is not really fully loaded say 20 devices in each loop and very few output conventional devices in the sounder circuits...etc

My timer has timed out now :)

Thank you

Offline Benzerari

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 12:31:55 AM »
One of the major issues behind the need to get batteries calculation in every service visit is, the temperature impact on the batteries life cycle, according to 'Arrhenius’ equation (Findings), For every 10 °C increase in temperature the reaction rate doubles. Therefore, an hour at 35 °C is roughly equivalent in battery life to two hours at 25 °C. In one side we can say the heat is the enemy of the battery and according to ‘Arrhenius’ even small increases in temperature will have a major influence on battery life cycle affecting both the desired and undesired chemical reactions.

The following figure explains this:

Offline Allen Higginson

Batteries calculation ?
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
Quote from: Benzerari
One of the major issues behind the need to get batteries calculation in every service visit is, the temperature impact on the batteries life cycle, according to 'Arrhenius’ equation (Findings), For every 10 °C increase in temperature the reaction rate doubles. Therefore, an hour at 35 °C is roughly equivalent in battery life to two hours at 25 °C. In one side we can say the heat is the enemy of the battery and according to ‘Arrhenius’ even small increases in temperature will have a major influence on battery life cycle affecting both the desired and undesired chemical reactions.

The following figure explains this:

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr87/BenzFerari/BattTemp.jpg
Benz - without trying to appear rude you have a tendancy to overcomplicate and go into too much detail on what are simple enough topics.
If the BS says use this calculation then I use it and if it is wrong for some reason then that's not my fault - I calculated to the formula given by BS5839!
Some of us are but mere fire alarm engineers!!