Author Topic: Zoning of fire alarm system  (Read 16583 times)

Offline Wiz

Re: Zoning of fire alarm system
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
in the same way as if the MCP's are located in the stairwell on each floor they are on the stairwell zone.

would you not have them programmed on the same zone as the accomodation side?
Only if they are installed on that side of the door G.

I agree with Buzz. If you have to walk from accomodation side, through stairwell (different zone) to reach room on same zone as on accomodation side, this would only lead to confusion of boundaries of zones.
If said room can't be on on its own zone, then on same zone as stairwell is best.

Graeme

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:18 AM »
Wiz

was referring to call points indicating a fire in the stairwell zone not the accomodation zone. I have always known it that mcp's should indicate the accomodation zone not the stairway.

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »
Wiz

was referring to call points indicating a fire in the stairwell zone not the accomodation zone. I have always known it that mcp's should indicate the accomodation zone not the stairway.
Only if they are installed at the door leading out into the stairwell Graeme,not on the landing of that floor.

Graeme

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »
we will have to have a disagreement over this one young man

check Amendment A2 13.2.1 a)

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »
we will have to have a disagreement over this one young man

check Amendment A2 13.2.1 a)
Having several senior moments this weather - the reason I gave was my arguement that I always had with MCP's being on the floor of origin if out on the staircase (person comes out on 7th floor and thinks to hit MCP on 4th floor etc.),why I then always put them in the corridor and not actual fact.
My bad,will retire to a small dark room and continue rocking back and forward in the corner!! ???

Graeme

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
let you off old pal

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
let you off old pal
Much appreciated.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »
Buzz, your understanding is widespread and I believe it has been taught as being the correct way on many courses.

It seems that the way you describe is applicable only to multi-storey buildings with phased evacuation (see 20.2.C)

The A2 amendment (2008) of 13.2.1 (does anyone remember what this clause said before the amendment?) states that 'the manual call point on each level (in enclosed stairway), other than final exit level from the stairway, should be incoporated within the zone that serves the adjacent accomodation on that level'

I'm guessing that the importance of being able to operate an easily locatable manual call point is considered more important than being able to establish the probable initiation zone of a fire. Because, as things now stand your scenario of someone escaping a fire on zone 'x' may now easily operate a mcp connected to zone 'y' whilst escaping down a staircase.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:05:21 PM by Wiz »

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
I think you will find the logic is that someone escaping from a floor will enter the stairwell at that floor and actuate the BGCP in the stairwell, being their RPS; causing the floor they escaped from and therefore logically discovered the fire on, to be shown as the place the fire is. Trouble is it don’t always work that way when you add Human Behaviour into the equation.

Just to add the Firefighter/FI perspective to this debate . As I said earlier in this thread, if I was to attend a premises where a room opened directly onto a stairwell, with no other access to a floor, I would expect to see any AFD in that room to be zoned to the stairwell and not the floor. Just my operational and FI perspective. Being practical and not tying up too many angels to dance on pinheads. (semantics).  ;)
Sam

Offline Oliver Austin

• CITB Training
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »
There are many recent developments in the Fire Detection and locating. With recent advances, Fire Alarms improved its way of diagnostics with the reliability of the Alarm System. In Conventional Fire Alarm System, the cable line is out of the control panel. These alarms can help people from comfortable escape from a burning building as well as saving your business. The fire may damage your property as well as your personal belongings such as files, important documents of an office etc. Thus Fires can quickly burn away everything you have worked to build, whether in a home or a business.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »
There are many recent developments in the Fire Detection and locating. With recent advances, Fire Alarms improved its way of diagnostics with the reliability of the Alarm System. In Conventional Fire Alarm System, the cable line is out of the control panel. These alarms can help people from comfortable escape from a burning building as well as saving your business. The fire may damage your property as well as your personal belongings such as files, important documents of an office etc. Thus Fires can quickly burn away everything you have worked to build, whether in a home or a business.

Anybody know what this means?
With recent advances, Fire Alarms improved its way of diagnostics with the reliability of the Alarm System. In Conventional Fire Alarm System, the cable line is out of the control panel. These alarms can help people from comfortable escape from a burning building as well as saving your business.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »

With recent advances, Fire Alarms improved its way of diagnostics with the reliability of the Alarm System. In Conventional Fire Alarm System, the cable line is out of the control panel. These alarms can help people from comfortable escape from a burning building as well as saving your business.

I will try to explain NT; Escaping comfortably from any fire is a new requirement of H & S. All systems will now have a zip-line cable out from the control panel allowing a smooth, exciting and comfortable escape from the flames.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »

I will try to explain NT; Escaping comfortably from any fire is a new requirement of H & S. All systems will now have a zip-line cable out from the control panel allowing a smooth, exciting and comfortable escape from the flames.
Right :-\
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
I suspect English is not the first language and this is a translation problem.  ;)
Sam

Midland Retty

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
My thoughts exactly Sam. It's nice to know that Firenet is visited by foreign cousins.