Author Topic: Arson in different countries  (Read 7565 times)

Chris Houston

Arson in different countries
« on: November 21, 2003, 11:15:47 AM »
Dear All,

I am gathering information on how different countries deal with the problem of arson.  I am especially interested in ideas that could possibly be tried in the UK.  ANY ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Rich

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 11:15:32 AM »
Chris,

The problem with arson is that it covers any deliberate ignition to anything.  Can you narrow your field to a more specific agenda - ie house fire or vehicle fires?  

On my station we have a particular problem with vehicle fires (approx 700+ a year).  To tackle this, the brigade in liaison with the police has set up an arson task force - this includes reporting abandoned vehicles to the council who remove them within 24 hours to stepping up police patrols in known trouble areas.  This has led to a reduction and a little more shut eye for the crews!!
I am sorry if I offend anybody although if gold medals were dished out for it I would have quite a few!!

Chris Houston

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 02:31:42 PM »
I was specifically looking at non fraudulant arson attacks to public buildings like schools and sports pavilions.

I had expected more replies, please people, don't be shy, any ideas would be welcome..............

Offline Jim Munday

• http://www.fireforensics.com.au
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 09:45:32 AM »
Chris
Sorry for delayed reply, I've only just found this request (would it get more attention on the fire investigation page?).
Suggest you contact Bob Alexander of NSWFB in Australia who is researching similar stuff and can give you a perspective on the different ways each state approaches the problem here.  Contact me for his e-mail address (I'm not allowed to post it openly due to our privacy laws).
Cheers
Jim