Author Topic: Entrapments  (Read 3362 times)

Offline badgerdog

Entrapments
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »
Hello folks,
I'm a ambulance technician, I am interested in what information you are looking for from the ambulance service, if we are first on scene at an RTA intrapment?
What info do you want passed over the radio?
What info do you want from us when you first arrive?

Offline fireftrm

Entrapments
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:36:30 PM »
Q1 If persons trapped how many and how many vehicles they are trapped in, such as RTC involving 2 vehicles, 2 persons trapped in one vehicle; or RTC involving.....2 person trapped in 2 vehicles - this lets us know if rescues are required and if there are multiple rescues from one or multiple vehicles. This enables a decision on resources we will require

Q2 How quickly you want the trapped casualties out, we can then say what we can do and agree the best rescue methods, for example the driver has internal bleeding and we need him out within 15 minutes; or the casualty is trapped but in no threat, we will continue to monitor their condition, but 30 minutes, or more is OK.; or the casualty needs to eb got out as qucikly as possible they are in imminent danger if we don't get them out. We then decide, between As and FRS, whether to rescue to give the greatest space and least movement for the casualty, or a fast recue where minimum space to get the casualty out, despite possibly causing furthe rinjury.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline badgerdog

Entrapments
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »
Cheers Fireftrm.

Offline Mike Buckley

Entrapments
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:55:08 PM »
Yes I would agree with fireftrm, but bear in mind two points. First if the casualty looks trapped, call the Fire Service then see if you can get them out, big red lorries are not that fast and there will always be a delay as the FS responds. Second you are the experts on dealing with casualties, the FS are the experts at dismantling cars, tell them what you want. The only time the FS will only try to over rule you if there is immenent danger, let's finish with the same number of casualties we started with.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.