Author Topic: Are you fit enough?  (Read 11934 times)

Midland Retty

Are you fit enough?
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
Im sure some of you will have heard that Grampian Fire Service have sacked one of it's firefighters for being "too fat"

What are your thoughts on this? Im sure that the firefighter concerned would have had the opportunity to  address his weight before it came to this, but are we seeing a pre cursor to brigades clamping down on operational personnel, and indeed firefighetrs who now serve in support departments (but whom could be called back to front line operations in spate conditions?)

Does fat mean you are physically unfit (i cite rugby players as an example - laurrie delagio is considered morbidly obese apparently)

And as someone pointed out on the radio this morning could or should this firefighter have been offered another role in the organisation if not fit for duty

"offer him another role?" said the radio presenter "isnt that what got him in this position in the first place?"

Offline toby14483

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »
I'm sure in this case fat means 'physically unable to do the job'. You can't be a firefighter and be unable to do everything the brigade asks of every other firefighter in my opinion.

Why should an employer put itself out for someone who is not prepared to keep themselves fit enough for the job? It shouldn't.

Midland Retty

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:50:04 PM »
Quote from: toby14483
I'm sure in this case fat means 'physically unable to do the job'. You can't be a firefighter and be unable to do everything the brigade asks of every other firefighter in my opinion.

Why should an employer put itself out for someone who is not prepared to keep themselves fit enough for the job? It shouldn't.
Yep fair comment Toby

Im not questioning the decision - Im just garnering opinions really out of curiosity :-)

Offline toby14483

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
Heh. I thought so. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Now I'm off for a pint and a pizza. :D

Offline Steven N

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »
Without knowing the chap in question I'm loath to comment on an individual case. However keeping yourself at a reasonable level of fitness for what at times is a physically demanding job isnt that impossible surely? Within my brigade we have fitness time set aside, what can be better than being paid to keep yourself fit?
 If an individual has fitness issues then surely a plan could be put in  place to address this? Nobody says we have to be olympic athletes,  just at a level to carry out the sometimes strenuous tasks thrown at us.
We rightly make a big play of how professional we are, professionlism covers many issues.
Any way unlike Toby i'm now off for a pint & a low fat kebab ;)
These are my views and not the views of my employer

Midland Retty

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
Have on for me Stevo

Again fair comment

What then about say officers who have transfered into support departments (not through ill health) but are quite happy to stay where they are in that role, have no real intention of going back ops.... what about them could they still be targetted for being overwieght - afterall they could be called back to the frontline and they do have to maintain competence.....go discuss.

Offline Steven N

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
Quote from: Midland Retty
Have on for me Stevo

Again fair comment

What then about say officers who have transfered into support departments (not through ill health) but are quite happy to stay where they are in that role, have no real intention of going back ops.... what about them could they still be targetted for being overwieght - afterall they could be called back to the frontline and they do have to maintain competence.....go discuss.
Very valid point MR perhaps a month long retraining /fitness programme before you go back on ops ? You could also instigate a fitness regieme for day staff as well? as already acknowledeged you dont have to be olympian fit !!
These are my views and not the views of my employer

Offline rips

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 04:37:26 PM »
As we do not know the full story of this "sacking" in Grampian it is hard to make a comment. I am sure that Grampian FRS have given the chap opportunity to do something about his weight, fitness etc..
As mentioned earlier, most FRS give personnel the opportunity the train during work time! Being paid to work out in the gym, fantastic!
I dont wish to sound harsh but it is about time FRS took a stance against operational personnel that are overweight and cannot fulfill the role that they are paid to do!

There is certainly a few in our FRS that would have been long gone years ago! However our FRS take people off the run and place them in day shift jobs! This cant be right either, if they cant do the job and they have been given all the assistance and time to sort them selves out and they stillcant lose weight or get fit should they be kept on?

What is the difference between not being able to do the job because of ability or just because they are too fat and not fit? In my opinion nothing.

The FRS does not require olympians but it does require a certain standard of fitness.
Any views I express are my own and not my employers. Still confused!

Clevelandfire

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 07:21:13 PM »
Quote from: rips
As we do not know the full story of this "sacking" in Grampian it is hard to make a comment. I am sure that Grampian FRS have given the chap opportunity to do something about his weight, fitness etc..
As mentioned earlier, most FRS give personnel the opportunity the train during work time! Being paid to work out in the gym, fantastic!
I dont wish to sound harsh but it is about time FRS took a stance against operational personnel that are overweight and cannot fulfill the role that they are paid to do!

There is certainly a few in our FRS that would have been long gone years ago! However our FRS take people off the run and place them in day shift jobs! This cant be right either, if they cant do the job and they have been given all the assistance and time to sort them selves out and they stillcant lose weight or get fit should they be kept on?

What is the difference between not being able to do the job because of ability or just because they are too fat and not fit? In my opinion nothing.

The FRS does not require olympians but it does require a certain standard of fitness.
I aqree and think I need to join a gym. Dont want to go back ops now as too old and long in the tooth but it could happen and perhaps I need to remember that and need to do something about my belly. Im off for sunday carvery now then a few pints.

Offline TallyHo

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 10:51:04 PM »
Aren’t all brigades signing up to a new fire-fighter fitness strategy with annual testing?

If I recall correctly there will be 3 tests all of which give a similar result.

Test 1 is reaching 8.2 on the bleep test.

Test 2 is the Chester step test.

Test 3 is walking on a tread mill for 12 minutes.  You start walking, level for 2 minutes then raise the tread by 3% then after another 2 min raise it by another 3% and so on until you reach 12 minutes. i.e.

0-2 min level
2-4 min 3% incline
4-6 min 6% incline
6-8 min 9% incline
8-10 min 12% incline
10-12 min 15% incline

Test 3 has been designed to make it easy to test your own fitness.

These may not be the exact figures but they are not far off.

Obviously you won’t have to do all 3 tests.

Offline Tom W

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
"Grampian Fire and Rescue Service said it had been forced to act after a "very long and arduous process of support and consideration". "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7506909.stm

I don't think they decided to get rid of him on a whim, it is reasonable to expect that when you call a fire fighter they will be up to the task that you need them for. That is after all why i pay my taxes.

Yes they could of given him another roll (*role :) ) but whats to say they didn't think he was up to a more interlectual role within the service. People are desperate to get into the fire service and wait years for the chance.

If you can't hack it then you shouldn't be in it

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
Are you fit enough?
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »
Quote from: Midland Retty
Im sure some of you will have heard that Grampian Fire Service have sacked one of it's firefighters for being "too fat"

What are your thoughts on this? Im sure that the firefighter concerned would have had the opportunity to  address his weight before it came to this, but are we seeing a pre cursor to brigades clamping down on operational personnel, and indeed firefighetrs who now serve in support departments (but whom could be called back to front line operations in spate conditions?)

Does fat mean you are physically unfit (i cite rugby players as an example - laurrie delagio is considered morbidly obese apparently)

And as someone pointed out on the radio this morning could or should this firefighter have been offered another role in the organisation if not fit for duty

"offer him another role?" said the radio presenter "isnt that what got him in this position in the first place?"
under descrimination law he can grab a lot of money, and then rejoin the same organisation or get another job

Offline Kaiser

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
is he being sacked for being overweight or unfit, there is a big difference in my opinion.  Personally, I am a big unit and overweight, but I have competed in the Toughest Firefighter Alive competition at both European and World championship levels and had very respectable times.  I still get stick at work from some of the guys for being a fatty, but most of them decline the chance to join me in competition.
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline pugh

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:32:58 AM »
I understand that he wasn't dismissed for being overweight but for being incapable; i.e. he couldn't carry out the normal tasks required of a firefighter.  Although he is now back at work but in a different roll, this really does set alarm bells ringing for me.  Put a 29 year firefighter through the hoops and see if he passes - No?  Sack him and save 10 years pension!

Offline pugh

Are you fit enough?
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »
Sorry, couldn't resist the roll/role bit.