Author Topic: Professor Philip Nolan  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Golden

Professor Philip Nolan
« on: October 08, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
It is with great sadness that I have to report the passing of Professor Philip Nolan who died suddenly at Reading station on Monday. Dr. Clive Steele of the South Bank University sent me the news and this statement which is worth repeating in full "Phil was 66 years old, he had supervised 89 PhD's and had been retired for a year. We are all shocked. Although he had been unwell for a year and diagnosed with prostate cancer we all thought he had a few years left to live. Very sad news. I have tried to let as many of his old students know as possible. He thought a great deal of the Fire Engineering students."

'Prof Nolan' was a wonderful and very intelligent man with a superb teaching style and brilliant sense of humour. Phil was able to engage a whole class and discussions such as the fire hazards of the supermarket fish counter were legendary. R.I.P. Phil.

Anybody who wishes to know of funeral details or an address to send condolences should contact Clive Steele or I can always pass on any messages.

There is more on Phil's achievements on the LSBU page link below.

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/esbe/efrg/team.shtml