Author Topic: Plastic Sprinkler Pipes.  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Mike Buckley

Plastic Sprinkler Pipes.
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:42:01 AM »
I have had a question relating to plastic sprinkler pipework.

A new building has sprinkler protection including a commercial kitchen. There are some problems with the sprinkler system and this has been put down to corrosion on the pipes caused by exposure to grease, heat and chemicals in the kitchen environment.

Has anyone any knowledge of this problem?
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Plastic Sprinkler Pipes.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:06:15 PM »
I would doubt that corrosion on the pipes would arise to the extent of causing problems. Black iron pipes often are usually installed with a single coat of red oxide primer, factory applied powder coating is better. Galvanised is better still and copper is permissible under BSEN 12845 subject to some conditions. But for non domestic systems cpvc is not recommended though under FMG guidance it can be provided- provided it is enclosed with a fire resisting casing. I would be interested to hear more of the problems and what they were.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Re: Plastic Sprinkler Pipes.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:07:13 AM »
The CPVC Pipes are certified by LPCB who, I assume, test them for this kind of thing - maybe you should tell them - they might send a pipe geek to take a look.