FIRE SERVICE AND GENERAL FIRE SAFETY TOPICS > Fire Investigation

fires in building sites

(1/2) > >>

Guest:
Can any of the FIO's reveal any info ref fires in construction sites/refits/building alterations?

Guest:
Try the Loss Prevention Councils fire during (i think) a refit. Interesting that one!! lol

Also building site fires seem to pop but i can't think of any.

Guest:
Broadgate Phase 8 is the only one I can recall that is well documented. There was another recently involving a contractor named MJ Gleeson in a shopping mall under construction. Another one with the same company back in the early nineties at Callender Park Business Park in Falkirk.

p.b.morgan:
Try Tim Pascoe at FRS/BRE. He led a recent project on security on construction sites - problems included fires. The worst problem is theft of plant - even thoise huge yellow diggers go walkabout and no-one sees them!

Along with Broadgate there was an atrium fire at  Minster Court within the same year. I seem to recall that the two fires caused more losses than the insurers got in in premiums that year. That concentrated a lot of minds and the joint guidance document came out from FPA on Fire Prevention on Construction Sites.

Chris Houston:
This is slightly off topic, but are you aware of the Joint Code of Practice on the Protection from Fire of Construction Site and Buildings Undergoing Renovation?  It's a good short guide to preventing such fires.

I know of at least one school in Norfolk that was lost when contractors set the roof on fire by accident, it was onlt minor roofing work that was going on.  I don't think this sort of loss is uncommon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version