FIRE SERVICE AND GENERAL FIRE SAFETY TOPICS > Fire Investigation

halogen bulbs

(1/2) > >>

potter 2:
has anyone got any good info,or know where i can find some, on the small halogen ceiling lights(the ones that come in packs of 5)being responsible for loft fires when they are open above the ceiling then have ,say,a plastic bag full of cotton quilts put on top,would they get hot enough to ignite the bag ...probably 50 watts

Mr. P:
Have not seen instances of fire but, these bulbs both 240 and 12 volt get too hot to the touch (as with any bulb). Have seen cases of some oxidation at connector, and, one where the wiring was coming apart. This was highlighted by light going on/off for seemingly no reason until very close inspection. There was some brown/blackening evident on plastic. So caught in time?

GeoffR:
I believe that these devices are hazardous if not properly installed. As has been said, they get extremely hot in normal use, and if they are exposed at the rear (top) to being covered then the risk of fire is significant, particularly if the material is a good heat insulator (e.g. your bag of quilts). The device will lose any ventilation it might have had and is likely to rise very quickly to a much higher temperature than its (already high) normal.

They look very nice, and I have some around the house, but with careless use I think they are highly dubious items. The creations of the devil.

potter 2:
thanks a lot..got the perfect answers direct from Osram (the bulb makers) they have a very good advice line.. got an answer to all my questions in less than 12 hours,,,basically 2 inch clear all the way round  and they gave me bulb temps at various points on the bulb,,

Guest:
Recently when visiting a relative I noticed one of these bulbs go off, and shortly afterwards, come on again, on closer investigation in the loft I found that the transformer for the lamp [ one per bulb in this case] had been fitted leaning against the bulb housing, and began to melt considerably, luckily the occupier had only used the lights in this room for brief periods, [ 30-45 mins at a time] and the heat build up had never led to complete ignition, If I hadn't been sitting on that particular side of the table on that night , who knows? [ I'd guess a through the roof Job! ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version