Author Topic: Gory Fire Safety Videos  (Read 46293 times)

Offline Firewolf

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« on: September 10, 2004, 12:33:55 PM »
Hi folks

I'm training some young people (late teens to early twenties) about the importance of fire safety. I want to show them hard hitting and graphic footage of REAL fire service videos which show the consequences of interfeering with fire safety equipmet or not bothering to react to fire alarms etc.

Whilst I don't want to frighten theses people or make them physically sick I have found in the past having worked with arsonists and other kids that real hard hitting footage does the trick - it makes ure that the message about fire safety and how important it is hits home.

Has anyone got any such footage ? The footage can include pictures of the deceased but nothing to gory !
BE ALERT BE VIGILANT BE SAFE  (c)

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 02:42:40 PM »
I joined in the late eighties, but remember being told of an incident that occurred to our training department in the late seventies early eighties.

Our guys used to do fire safety training and part of it was an early video (from America) of a fire in a South American office block, where unfortunately there was loss of life, due to the smoke/fire and persons jumping from great heights with obvious results. While persons were always told not lean back in their chair at the start, once the lights went off for the video, some people did.  

One day a guy was leaning back on two legs, when a graphic uncut scene appeared on the TV screen. He promptly passed out; cut his head open and ended up in hospital for the night with concussion. The instructors of the day, told me they used to wait with some glee, for the faint gasp of disgust from their audience at this particular piece of the film. (Because most Ff’s do have a little bit of a warped sense of humour!)

After this incident the training department had to review its use and it was withdrawn. Can you imagine our lawsuit society, with our “have you been injured at work culture”?

I have found a good over power point presentation and stark facts are enough to get the message over to any group. I have never used graphic images, the spoken word, and even a few verbal examples of house/work fires and their outcomes, good and bad. If you want a video, we use a fire extinguisher training video lasting around 20-minute’s. After all, that’s the only fire equipment, the average person will be using. I attempt to make them smile via a few little funnies, if it is all dome and glom, they’ll start to switch off.  

Which ever you decide to use good luck.

Offline Firewolf

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 04:13:57 PM »
Yes I remember being shown that film - infact its where I got my knickname "headache" from - not from fainting i hasten to add but due what seems in hindsight  a distasteful comment made about one unfortunate person who'd jumped off the roof onto the pavement. I mentioned something about them having a headache in the morning jovially *slaps wrists*

Thats correct too much doom and gloom they will switch off and ordinarily my training apporach is the same as yours however these are unruly people I'm training not  standard members of staff!!

It does need the shock treatment unfortunately.It worked for me before but unfortunately I no longer had the videos available to me (the videos were originally provided by the local fire authorty whom I was contracted to at that partiicular time)

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 04:52:57 PM »
Yep that's the section he fell at; sorry though I cannot help on the video front. Don’t you know anyone still on the job whom could loan you a copy?

Gary Howe

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 06:02:45 PM »
I use a video called "front room fire 2" available form the BRE website: www.brebookshop.co.uk, and the FPA DVD called "Managing Fire Safety at Work" website: www.thefpa.co.uk

Both are excellant training aids, they are short and to the point, which is important if you do not want your delegates to nod off!

Regards

Gary Howe

Chris Houston

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 06:26:01 PM »
While persons were always told not lean back in their chair at the start, once the lights went off for the video, some people did.  

One day a guy was leaning back on two legs, when a graphic uncut scene appeared on the TV screen. He promptly passed out; cut his head open and ended up in hospital for the night with concussion.

"Contributory Negligence" is all I've got to say on that one.  He'd actually have quite a hard job getting any money out of your for that, even if he did, he wouldn't get much.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 11:05:09 PM »
I joined in the late eighties, but remember being told of an incident that occurred to our training department in the late seventies early eighties.

Our guys used to do fire safety training and part of it was an early video (from America) of a fire in a South American office block, where unfortunately there was loss of life, due to the smoke/fire and persons jumping from great heights with obvious results. While persons were always told not lean back in their chair at the start, once the lights went off for the video, some people did.  

It was also featured on the 70's UK Film 'Fire and Smoke' along with trapped people in Woolworths sticking arms out of barred windows, Glasgow Firemen being resusitated and the odd charred body.

I still have a copy of it converted to mpg on CD along with a Front Room Fire, Bradford & the olf FPA Fire Warden Building with the guy from London's Burning.

If it's graphic fire deaths the internet is full of still photos adn the odd film. Some of the Motor Racing footage available is good on how NOT to use a fire extinguisher
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 01:38:10 PM »
The incident where the unfortunate chap goes for a swan dive was in Sau Paulo, Brazil. I cant remember the date but the picture stays with you for years.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 10:44:53 PM »
Indeed - a useful reminder (if one was needed) of why we all do our jobs.

Not the easiest decision to make, stay or jump.

Miraculously some people managed to balcony hop, pipe slide to safety - but nowhere nearenough were able to do this
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Firewolf

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 02:31:20 PM »
Thanks for all your help chaps!

So does anyone have a spare copy of a video they could send me at all?
 :oops:

Offline Simon Morriss

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 07:54:00 AM »
Fire wolf

If you can get hold of a copy of an American video called "Plan to get out alive" use this one.  I have been using this for nearly 6 - 7 years and I believe it is the best fire safety video out.  When I first viewed it I was unsure as I was expecting an American "Backdraft" type video.  Oh no I can rate this enough.  Sadly "First Alert" and "McDonalds" who co produced this no longer publish it so you may need to do some hunting.  

If you find a good copy let me know as mine is now looking tired.

Simon

Offline tim

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 07:55:27 PM »
Please bear a thought for the poor people in the video!  I was shown a picture of a dead toddler which was being shown to young offenders.  It hit home that the charred body I was looking at was indeed someone's son and I would not want a picture of my son shown in this way (God forbid!!!)

Just a thought...

Chris Houston

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 01:42:20 AM »
Tim,

The people who use this site are generally fire fighters or fire safety people.  It most probably a significant part of their motivation to save lives and I would assume that none of the people on here need to be reminded to "bear a thought" for the victims.

I am sure you posted with the best of intentions, but maybe if a loved one had perished in a fire, you actually might want your loss to do some good and help spread the message.  I very much doubt the film makers would produce the videos without parental consent.

Offline scott

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 05:09:17 PM »
I remember watching a video in training school, showing a council house with two young kids being brought out, then cpr being carried out in the back of a old maestro police car. Certainly made me realise that **** happens and it aint very nice. Reigns you in a bit when you are looking forward to getting on station and going to "real" fires.

Offline Sarah

Gory Fire Safety Videos
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 05:02:40 PM »
Hi,

The video Scott mentions is called 'When Children Play With Fire'  - very gory and really pulls the heart strings - i only use it with older youths - and it is very effective.

I also have a copy of a Tuesday Special that was broadcast a few years ago - the programme looks at what motivates an arsonist  - speak to a family who's young daughter has been severely scarred as a result of an arson. Some of the arsonists are really proud of the destruction their fire raising causes - so with this in mind it is important to think about how the audience would react- if anyone would like to borrow my copy pm me –

Lincolnshire’s Consequences video is also effective youths seem to respond well to the style of video.

Hope that help’s

Sarah