Author Topic: Disbabled evacuation from domestic properties, managed by managing age  (Read 18748 times)

Offline ps

Disbabled evacuation from domestic properties, managed by managing age
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
Ah - I was told that only the fire brigade were allowed to use the key - was that twaddle (technical term!) as well then?

What I had in mind was in new refub with great compartmentisation - its a 2 stage alarm - the first stage someone investigates to see whats happening (after training) if the alarm is not switched off after the first knock - it goes into full evac mode and everyone kicks out via the escape stairways.

What I wanted was at the first stage, persons in wheel chairs (exception none currently in situ) who enter the building will be given a have a pager linked to the alarm. When the first stage of the alarm goes off, they are paged and they make their way under their own steam to the firemans lift (in a compartment with 2 hour fire separation) and wait.

A trained member of staff gets into the firemans lift and goes to the floor in question (the building's security system means we know where they are) and comes back down again with the person in question - all within the time of the first stage investigation of the alarm. If the alarm is not reset within 5 mins, the main alarm kicks off so there shoud be ample time - if the alarm is reset - the person can simply go back using the normal lifts.

The lift does not go to the ground floor until the 2nd stage (full evac) alert. If the person cant get there in time, my suggestion is go there and wait until a trained member of staff arrives with an evac chair or now I know non fire brigade staff can use the lift, could they use the override switch and get it to go back up to rescue?  I'm not a fan of evac chairs although I guess we still need some in case the lift isnt working!

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »
Sounds good to me ps. Streets ahead of most of your peers.

Rather than pagers you could provide a refuge comms unit in the lobby and on operation of the alarm the evacuation officer can then find out who is where and move those at greatest risk. Even better if there was also comms to the lift car. Fire service would find that useful too.

You mention the two stage alarm- presumably the second knock at any time will put the system into full evacuate as will a break glass at any time ?

Presumably using the over ride keyswitch in the car will disable its return to the base on full evacuation alarm (just checkin)

If you are using the lift in this way it is important to meet and greet the brigade and tell them the situation of the lift on arrival.

Offline ps

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 08:07:14 AM »
Hi there - thanks for your comments Kurnal - its really reassuring to know I'm kinda on the right track!

Yes the second knock will put into full evac mode as will breaking the glass point.  Not sure about the over ride key switch its on my lift to check. If it does disable its return to ground on full evac - I take it its still ok for a non FB person to use it - as long as you say, we update the FB on arrival?

Offline ps

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 08:23:51 AM »
ooops nearly forgot - do I need to ask the local fire brigade in advance if I'm going to put this in place? -

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:32 PM »
Quote from: ps
ooops nearly forgot - do I need to ask the local fire brigade in advance if I'm going to put this in place? -
No you dont need to tell them in advance but you do need good liaison and respmse when they do arrive- to meet and brief them and comms with whoever is in control of the lift car so that they can be informed of a worsening situation, the location of others who need help and any no go areas.

Offline ps

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »
Fantastic - once again, many thanks for your help!