Author Topic: Emergency lighting tests  (Read 11465 times)

Offline ps

Emergency lighting tests
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:49:04 PM »
Hi all - I'm being told (by a contractor) that you must have a system of daily check in place for emergency lighting.

I can understand why this is a good idea if all the units are linked - but can't see the logic if every unit is self sufficient - ie if you loose one, others will still work. Problem compounded as its a residential block of flats, no staff regularly on duty to carry out the check anyway.

Is monthly good enough (unless area is constantly vandalised, stuff left lying around etc...and should I perhaps ask residents to report any missing red lights as well?

We've already got someone checking monthly and annually.

I can't believe I need to appoint a contractor or enven a man with a van to visit all such properties on a daily basis?

Any ideas?

Graeme

Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
you are supposed to check daily that all the lamps on maintained systems are lit and check all faults have been actioned in the log book.

What he has told you is not false but it can be done by an appointed competant person within that site.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:42:19 PM »
Graeme, Daily checks went out in 2005.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Graeme

Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »
ah no...

i will have to go and check what version i read last night.

Graeme

Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:50:18 PM »
time for a bonfire then.  Had 1999 in same folder as 2005.

2005  says for servicing look to BS EN 50172:2004/BS 5266-8 2004.  Time to find another couple of pounds for more bed time reading.

Offline jokar

Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
Which states daily checks.

Offline Tom Sutton

Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:43:58 PM »
I find myself in the same position Graeme, its £80 or £40 if you are a member but it costs £100+ to join and is only worth it if you have to purchase 2 or 3 standards. Of course you may just like supporting those lovely people from the BSI. :)
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline The Reiver

Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:04:24 AM »
Not a clue what this means as I do mechanical stuff.

Allegedly this is from a certain standard which has previously been mentioned as being the in date CoP (not mentioning it in case the copyright gestapo are watching)

page 10
Section 7.2.2 (perhaps)
Daily:
Indicators of central power supply shall be visually inspected for correct operation.

Section 7.2.3 (possibly)
Monthly:
Tests shall be carried out as follows:
a) Switch on in emergency mode each luminaire and each internally illuminated exit sign from its battery by simulation of a failure of the supply to the normal lighting for a period sufficient to ensure that each lamp is illuminated.

b) In addition to a) for central battery systems, the correct operation of system monitors shall be checked

c) In addition to a) for generating sets, refer to the requirements of ISO 8528-12

This is all just supposition of course as I have definitely not copied this from anything
No no no no no !!!!
(OO\SKYLINE/OO)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
Jokar, read it again. The daily check is only of the indicators on a CB unit. The daily checks that Graeme was advocating are those of every lamp in a maintained system, which were dropped in 2005. The original question related to s/c from the sound of it, not CB, so no daily checks arise.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Graeme

Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »
got the updated  version Friday.  Not bad 12 pages......

Offline ps

Re: Emergency lighting tests
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
thanks guys!

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 11:32:16 PM »
ah no...

i will have to go and check what version i read last night.

You see Grame you need to check what did you drink last night and how much, not what version did you read?

Graeme

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 08:35:46 AM »
i had 4 bottles of Orchard Reserve and i was very very drunk you know...

but that was not the night in question