Author Topic: testing of fire alarms  (Read 17098 times)

Offline ps

testing of fire alarms
« on: February 05, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »
Hello all - hopefully an easy one for you guys...where a builder has decided to install a fire alarm system in a residential purpose built block, with no staff present at that block how often would you need to check the alarm via the call points?

Someone has suggested getting cleaning contractors to do it, but I'm not keen at all...

Is quaterly enough given that the alarm is for common areas only and all properties are built to a good standard with 1 hour protection...come to think of it - why on earth is there an alarm there in the first place?

ANy help welcomed!

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: testing of fire alarms
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »
If its there it needs to be tested and maintained so that if people do try to operate it it will respond as expected.

As you say it may not be needed- builders do some funny things sometimes- if risk assessment says its not needed you have two options- either maintain it and test it in accordance with BS5839 part 1 or take it out.

I have come across flats where the builder has installed a full system in common areas and linked it to the detectors in flats- this really is a nightmare all round and taking out is not then an option unless you install replacement mains powered detectors in all flats.

Also the system may be configured to operate the ventilation system so act with caution.

If its less than a year old you may also have to have a chat with the building control before making any changes.

Is there a tenant who may be willing to take on the weekly testing and daily check of the panel  for faults?

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
are builders diversifying with the credit crunch and installing fire alarms?  god help us all.

Offline ps

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »
Sorry guys, lack of accurate terminiology on my part - the builders didnt install it, it was indeed done by a proper installer - but having done the assessment myself - I can't find a justification for it?

Given that, if someone has Eastenders on nice and loud in their abode, no ones going to hear it in the flats. If they do hear it and there is (by some miracle) a problem in the lobby or stairs, then aren't we potentially sending them out into a smoky (or jolly hot!) corridor when they'd be better off inside continuing to watch Eastenders blissfully unaware.

I thought nice new buildings built in accordance with building regs didnt need them in these circs? There is no particular fire hazard in the corridors, a small amount of post on a table sometimes, and entry is secure.

Any thoughts before I make an ass of myself and get it decommissioned? I'm assuming someone put it there for a reason - just can't figure out what that reason should be?

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »

sending them out into a smoky (or jolly hot!) corridor when they'd be better off inside continuing to watch Eastenders blissfully unaware.

Any thoughts before I make an ass of myself and get it decommissioned? I'm assuming someone put it there for a reason - just can't figure out what that reason should be?

Think I'd prefer to take my chances with the jolly hot corridor ps than watch Eastenders.

There is a reason why it was put there. The installer charged more to do it that way.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline ps

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:54:14 PM »
AH - but what if its a nice re run of that well know series London's Burning? What then huh!

I though I was being too cynical - you mean people really put these things in if there's no need???

If we go done the easy route and keep the status quo (I can already hear the arguements from some residents if we suggest removal) is the weekly test an absolute requirement or a moveable feast?

Offline ps

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »
ignore poor spelling on previous - typing too fast....

Offline kurnal

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:09:13 PM »
PS I still think that if its there people may rely on it so it should be maintained and tested. Whether its needed or not.

Either maintain and test it or remove it. Thats the choice as I see it.

When I asked a national building firm why they kept putting these systems in they told me that the NHBC building control require it wherever there is  a cupboard for electricity meters in a single stair building. Now as the ADB allows electricity meters in a single staircase I cannot see why enclosing them in a small cupboard should then warrant it but there you go

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 06:34:38 PM »
I think that in many cases there is overprovision because some don't know when it is not necessary. When in doubt put in the lot.
Sorry, could not find a rhyming word for "doubt" which fits.

Offline ps

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »
"when in doubt, maintain it with clout and you'll never, ever be without!"

See, all it takes is a glass of red and it flows well.

Ok so the maintenance thing - that has to be weekly?

Graeme

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »
testing does.  maintenance per BS min twice a year

Offline ps

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »
is the weekly test best practice then? Or a BS thing? Sorry to labour the point but I don't want to suggest going against a BS but I might suggest they stretch testing to once every 2 weeks or even 4? Unless someone tells me they think thats a dreadful idea and I should burn in hell etc etc...

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »
is the weekly test best practice then? Or a BS thing? Sorry to labour the point but I don't want to suggest going against a BS but I might suggest they stretch testing to once every 2 weeks or even 4? Unless someone tells me they think thats a dreadful idea and I should burn in hell etc etc...

You don't have to test it weekly ps. It is only a recommendation of the BS. The only legal requirement is that it is maintained. However, in the event of an audit of the FRA by the F&RS it will advise you if your policy of fortnightly tests is sufficient or not, in its view.

Offline ps

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 06:39:34 PM »
brilliant - thanks for clairty Nearlythere. Would you know from expereince if I am wide of the mark here? If every one else just bites the bullet and employs someone to go around testing these things weekly at unmanned properties, then I'm happy to keep status quo - however I just can't see it myself!

Offline kurnal

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
Where they are installed then usually I find that managing agents will visit monthly and test alarm and emergency lighting. However often they find an interested tenant who is prepared to do it weekly. 

Most important though is that where these BS5939 systems are installed there should be a person - a responsible person  according to the BS - who will check the panel daily for faults and report them to the engineers or agent, follow up on faults previously reported and who has the necessary skills to silence and reset it in the event of it gong off!