Author Topic: locks on doors  (Read 11681 times)

Offline ps

locks on doors
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:55:04 AM »
I've got some students who want a lock put on the fire doors that protect the stairway from the common corridors to their individual flats, to protect their security.

In each corridor, there are max 4 flats

Am I right in thinking that, as long as the students in that corridor can get out without having to use a key, i.e. perhaps a handle only from the inside, that it does not matter if people from the outside cant get in?

I'm considering perhaps swipe card entry, or keypad entry which would "fail safe" in the event of a fire alarm evacuation?

This also means that any search wouldn't be impeded by fiddling around for cards or codes.

As always, any thoughts appreciated.

Offline nearlythere

Re: locks on doors
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »
I've got some students who want a lock put on the fire doors that protect the stairway from the common corridors to their individual flats, to protect their security.

In each corridor, there are max 4 flats

Am I right in thinking that, as long as the students in that corridor can get out without having to use a key, i.e. perhaps a handle only from the inside, that it does not matter if people from the outside cant get in?

I'm considering perhaps swipe card entry, or keypad entry which would "fail safe" in the event of a fire alarm evacuation?

This also means that any search wouldn't be impeded by fiddling around for cards or codes.

As always, any thoughts appreciated.
Other than for special circumstances eg disability of occupiers, EODs are for escape purposes and usually not access.
You can use swipe cards or codes for access and still have an EOD on the inside.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Davo

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »
ps

just remember they are students and may be wearing beer goggles.............. ;D

davo

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:12:07 AM »
I reckon keypad may be your best bet on the outside of the door with a handle for easy escape on the inside. Then you can reprogram the keypad from time to time to maintain security but make sure that campus security are aware of all codes and pass them to all emergency services when access may be needed.

Offline ps

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »
That's a good point Kurnal - I was only thinking of you fire guys, where if the alarm had gone off, the locks would be disabled, I didn't think about ambulance police etc., who surprise surprise get call far more often than the fire brigade!

Thanks as always for sound advice.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
Don't worry too much about the Fire Service getting in, a large axe and sledge hammer can normally deal with a standard fire door. However Facilities Management aren't too happy, which can make a useful lever to get them to cough up for an electrical link into the fire alarm.
 :)
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline ps

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:53:55 AM »
thanks Mike

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:06:53 AM »
So if I went in the premises all I would need to do would be set the alarm off and I have access to all the rooms? Can you tell me where this is, I could do with a couple of laptops. ;)

IMO a simple mortice lock with a thumb turn would be ideal.

Offline ps

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »
Not quite that easy - although you'd have access to the corridors which contain the rooms. Each of them would have its own lock and sleeping student inside.

Are empty beer cans worth stealing then??

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »
Not quite that easy - although you'd have access to the corridors which contain the rooms. Each of them would have its own lock and sleeping student inside.

Are empty beer cans worth stealing then??

or half eaten pizza?