Author Topic: Inadequate Fire Risk Assessments - Who's to Blame?  (Read 19165 times)

Offline Hi Tower

• Hitower
Re: Inadequate Fire Risk Assessments - Who's to Blame?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »
You would be stuffed in Nottinghamshire - they don't give you any solutions or detail of the faults in notices - they just quote the relevant article of the RRO that is breached

Didn't Nottinghamshire lose a prosecution case that cost them millions - is that why they now default to the relevant article only.  Isn't that part of the trouble, the enforcement body are worried about bringing prosecutions that might not stand up in court - the best way to counter this is not to bring any prosecutions.  I understand Manchester have now taken on a legal beagle who knows his stuff and is preparing and presenting cases that will/are standing up in court.  I think clarification is needed for the FA of what they provide under the FRS Act 2004 and how that fits with their status as enforcing body.  At the moment it just doesn't work, I don't think they know there role - adviser, enforcer or responsible person/brigade.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
I'm not going to make any prejudgements on the M5 tragedy but one thing I think will be highlighted is that a FRA applies to places and not just buildings.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
This says it all.
Six years ago we were appointed to carry out fire risk assessments on behalf of a local authority. Had a phone call today asking if I would help them out following a complaint of overcrowding, could I advise them on maximum numbers. I dropped everything and went to help out. I worked out the numbers for them and pointed out that a review was well overdue.

"Oh no" says he "we have regular reviews we use company XXXX to do it for us, their tender was cheaper than yours. But we would not trust them to work out capacities as you have just done". 

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
This says it all.
Six years ago we were appointed to carry out fire risk assessments on behalf of a local authority. Had a phone call today asking if I would help them out following a complaint of overcrowding, could I advise them on maximum numbers. I dropped everything and went to help out. I worked out the numbers for them and pointed out that a review was well overdue.

"Oh no" says he "we have regular reviews we use company XXXX to do it for us, their tender was cheaper than yours. But we would not trust them to work out capacities as you have just done".  
The benefits of CCT.
Like I say in my Signature "A cheap Fire Risk Assessment can be very costly".
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:44:28 AM by nearlythere »

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
Is the local authority in breach of the RRO?
It has a duty to employ a competent person to assist. It now has issues with the competency of the persons it has employed to assist.
To me that is a breach.

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
For what it's worth my opinion is the client is to blame when looking for contractors.

ALL thay want is the cheapest and will encourage the bidders have a bidding war to drive the cost down : "you've made the top ten but....."

Quality does not even enter the mix as long as the assessment is completed at their specification and to their timescale. Box ticking from top to bottom of the equation so all the targets are met regardless of report details.

This is happening thoughout all public and private arenas and as people move from one employer to the next they take with them their really bright ideas for kudos and bonuses.
As a service provider to this commercial you either jump on board  :-X or give up, but rest assured, you'll never beat it  :(

Gripe over.....
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...