Author Topic: Fire Risk Assessment – A Guide for Businesses  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Fire Risk Assessment – A Guide for Businesses
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
Its reported that the above guide is in the drafting process any further information.

http://www.fia.uk.com/en/Information/Details/index.cfm/FRA%20Competency%20Criteria
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline William 29

• http://www.tfsltd.net
Re: Fire Risk Assessment – A Guide for Businesses
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
Hi Tom, not heard anymore but should be due out soon, the FIA are generally the first to let everyone know.

Eli

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:56:23 PM »

Tom

The breaks are on this at the moment; so don't expect it soon, it went for final consultation amongst the competence council and there is some difference of opinion in the responses; that will possibly require a meeting to resolve. (This has not been scheduled yet) So May would be my guess at the earliest, I hope I am wrong and I hope It stays the same as the draft which was almost spot on in my opinion.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
Thanks guys, somehow I am not surprised there is some difference of opinion and it could be more difficult to reach agreement than the "Competency Criteria for Fire Risk Assessors" especially when it goes to public comment.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »
Tam, the draft document is only 2 sides of A4 so do not look for miracles. The first draft was far from right, but to be honest it is not going to make a great difference to the world, other than to tell people where they can get competent fire risk assessors.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Eli

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »
Tom

I think this should be the most important thing that has happened to improve the situation of poor risk assessments in the last 5 years.

It will hopefully be the signpost that RPs will ignore at their peril. It should be signposted by CLG it should be signposted by CFOA and the FRS; the CBs, trade and professional bodies should also do the honours. For the first time there will be one focus for the RP one document that says look for this or do this if you want to demonstrate you have taken all reasonable precautions in the appointment of a competent fire risk assessor. If all the bodies involved in the competence standard promote this then the RP will pick it up. The good assessors need not fear anything as they will be appointed with or without third party certification; however during the appointment process less questions will be asked of those who have third party certification, which is exactly what third party is for.

The job is only a third done at the moment

Simplify; this is what a competent fire risk assessor should know and be able to do. (Competence Standard)

Standardise: every assessor in the land who has third party certification in any shape or form should meet these requirements (NAFRAR FRACS IFE IFPO BAFE and who ever else joins in)

Signpost: By giving the RP a template of what to look for or what they need to do when appointing a fire risk assessor you focus them on doing all that is reasonably possible to assure competence/quality. (RP (Business guide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:18:36 PM by Eli »

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »
Tam, the draft document is only 2 sides of A4 so do not look for miracles.
Size is not everything, I should know, as long as it does the job.
The first draft was far from right, but to be honest it is not going to make a great difference to the world, other than to tell people where they can get competent fire risk assessors.
As long as the final draft tells people where they can get competent fire risk assessors and it applies nationally, that will do me.

Eli please leave the sniping at home its your opinion on the subject I need, if hopefully I am to learn anything.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:35:54 PM by Tom Sutton »

Eli

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Tom

Edited; although I do think it helped make some valid points.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »
Tam,  As I know that your interest is genuine and not commercially led, I can seek permission to let you see a draft if you want. We need to be careful that it does not imply to the RP that he has to employ ANYONE at all to do he FRA. In some circumstances he can and should do it himslef- consultants are not the answer to everything.  It originally did not emphasise this enough , but we will make sure it is not simply a frightener to the RP that he must use consultants to be safe and them simply promotes all the schemes. He should hve to want to use a third party before we get him too hung up on where to find one.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Eli

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:37 AM »
Colin leave the sniping at home!

The point about the RP not being informed I disagree with. I think it was very clear about the advantages of doing it yourself and it had a very good warning about the RP being confident that she/he has the knowledge and time to commit to doing it properly.

Tom I would be interested in your opinion once you have seen it.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »
Colin leave the sniping at home!

I agree you don't need to snipe to get your argument across. However Colin as you say I have a genuine interest because on  another forum I contribute to, I get questions like “Can I paint a fire door, does it have to be flame retardant paint and does it have to be red” and other highly technical questions.  A question I have been asked on a number of occasions is “How do I select a competent FR assessor” reason for my interest.

As for acting as a referee no chance I will wait for it to be put out for public comment and any opinions I have I will present them, then.